GE 90/30, no communication using HE693SNP900

CalG

You should have started a new thread instead of hijacking this one.
That manual will not help for your problem. Go to www.heap.com and get the manual for your Horner module.

You need to update your software to Proficy ME. :)

Russ, You are right.

I thought about the "hijacking" aspect, but felt that the opening line revealed my intentions. That is, If something didn't appear in this thread, (and it seems the problem is found) then I have to embark on my own path. i.e., another thread.

I just didn't want to have two threads repeating a topic if one would do the job. ;-) But on your input, I have!

And Yes, I have the Horner User Manual open.I looked at the literature prior to procurring the card, and now that it has arrived, I used it to set up the card in the last available slot on the plc.
Brilliant eh!

The config change verified without complaint.

That manual refers the reader to the GFK0582 literature.
And so, around it goes!

If I knew which bits of information were vital, I'm sure I would be on my way.

How would Proficy help? The Horner literature indicates using the LM90 dialer. for the phone connection. The hardware and software seem to be speaking the same language. Perhaps with the aid of an ear horn due to the declining ability to take in information with advancing age.

Does the Proficy software offer advanced legacy support? (oxymoron ;-)

My continued appreciation for the support!

Cal

Thanks Bill

I'm not really a windoz guy, DOS is fine by me, And now Linux

Multi tasking, multi threading graphical interfaces are pretty much a waste on my way of working.

If I keep my hands near the keyboard, speed is not an issue either. It's the switching back and forth between keypad and mouse that becomes annoying.

Regarding the communication.

Do I just use otherwise unused %I and %R references? The Horner set up example does not show the %R data in their example.

I have many unused bits, but wonder if there is a "most correct" choice.

Thanks

Cal

Cal,

For what its worth, here is the Logicmaster configuration from a system that once had a Horner communications module in a remote I/O rack. I don't know if it was the same module that you're using and the system is no longer in service so I can't verify anything.

It is shown as a foreign moidule in configuration, addressed to %I00153. Zoom into the module and the details are as follows:
Module ID 3
%I Ref Adr %I0153
%I Size 0
All other reference types show their addresses as the first of that type (ie %Q0001) but their sizes are zero so the actual addresses are immaterial.
Byte 1 = 00000001
Byte 2 = 00000000
Byte 3 = 00
Byte 4 = 00
Byte 5 = 01
Byte 6 = 00
Byte 7 = 05
Byte 8 = 01
Byte 9 = 00
Byte 10 = 00
Byte 11 = 01
Byte 12 = 01
Bytes 13 through 16 all = 00

There is no reason to %I or %R to use the Horner module as a "standard" SNP slave port for either programming or an HMI.
Set up the hardware configuration exactly as it is in the manual on page 10 and it will communicate to the default LM90 setup using the standard GEIP programming cable for the RS-485 15 pin ports.

Russ, In the expanded set up window (F10) the %R reference is shown

But is not shown in the documentation on page ten.

No big deal? Just set the size to zero and it will go away?

This unit may be flaky. So I need to give it my best shot.

And...

Even if %I00001 is a valid assignment in the existing logic program, I can just set it the same? A message is shown on the LM90 screen about "overlapping ...."
To me this would be a problem.

Thanks

Cal

The %I size is set to 8.

But I have set %I0020 so as not to step on the present logic assignments. (1I through 19I are in use by the program) Is this right?

Note, I do NOT get the valid connectivity lights that are described in the Horner docs. Rather some feint slowly blinking red LEDs on the RS232 side. (the config. settings are clearly RS485, and double checked) Connection is with the same cable that is used successfully when plugged into the power supply port. Just move it over and repower

Cal

There is no reason to %I or %R to use the Horner module as a "standard" SNP slave port for either programming or an HMI.
Set up the hardware configuration exactly as it is in the manual on page 10 and it will communicate to the default LM90 setup using the standard GEIP programming cable for the RS-485 15 pin ports.

RussB Could you insert the missing words in the first sentence of you response. "There is no reason to (USE?) %I or %R..."

It is that they are present in the config window that makes me wonder.
I have learned that these machines can be fussy over such details ;-)

You may need to set the %I address to at least %I0025. It needs to be on a byte boundary. If you typed in "20I", Logicmaster probably normalized that to %I0017. Best bet would be to type in "%I". With that, Logicmaster will select the next available address that doesn't overlap with another module.

Blinking lights are an indication of traffic on the port. If you see the "Rx" LED blinking it tells you that the signal from the SNP master (Logicmaster in this case) is reaching the module, but that the module is not responding. That generally indicates a port parameter mismatch (baud rate, parity, etc). If no LEDs are blinking and the Logicmaster cable is connected, it tells you that nothing from Logicmaster is reaching the module. That generally points to a problem with the cable.

Last edited:
You may need to set the %I address to at least %I0025. It needs to be on a byte boundary. If you typed in "20I", Logicmaster probably normalized that to %I0017. Best bet would be to type in "%I". With that, Logicmaster will select the next available address that doesn't overlap with another module.

Blinking lights are an indication of traffic on the port. If you see the "Rx" LED blinking it tells you that the signal from the SNP master (Logicmaster in this case) is reaching the module, but that the module is not responding. That generally indicates a port parameter mismatch (baud rate, parity, etc). If no LEDs are blinking and the Logicmaster cable is connected, it tells you that nothing from Logicmaster is reaching the module. That generally points to a problem with the cable.

Steve

I mis spoke. The %I20 reference did result in the overlap LM90 doing it's thing!. 25I was the setting used. My earlier response of 20I was first entry from my notes. IThe 25I reference was used in the end. It's been a long day.

I'll need to double check those serial settings. But if it works for the standard port, I assume the provided example would work for the Horner slave port.

Hmmm Now here is an issue

Regarding bits 11 and 12

The Horner example enters 1E for bit 11, and C8 for bit 12
The example you had posted enters 01 for the same fields.

Could be a problem...

Bytes 11 and 12 look like they apply to modem communications. They probably won't have any impact on what you're trying to do. To match the Logicmaster default serial port settings of 19200 baud, odd parity you should set byte 7 to 7 and byte 8 to 1.

did that, done that.

seven is 7 and eight is one

Strange math....but if it works ...hey!