GE 90-30 wierd problems

Put in fresh battery...same issue.

This time I uploaded what was in it before downloading....
It was the old logic and configuration (done by someone else) I had upgraded over a year ago!
The upgrade involved removing a Comm module from slot 0.2 and reprogramming the ALG222 module in slot 0.4 (this explains those faults), also fully new "standardized" logic.

So I cleared the memory and downloaded again including updating flash memory. But flash had an error again...this time I looked up the error. It was that I did not have "privileged rights" to flash. This means the key has to be OFF to write to flash...learn something new every day. I assumed that having the key "Disabled" in the CPU meant it was not doing anything....doh. CPU was also set up to use RAM.

So with the key off, I downloaded the cleared memory to the PLC logic and Flash.
Then downloaded my logic and to flash. everything went in no issue.
after 3 times of shutting down and restarting to verify...it came up great every time.
Eureka!!

Now....what function does the key actually perform on a 372 CPU?
When does the CPU actually load from flash when the CPU is set to use RAM?

Last edited:
It was that I did not have "privileged rights" to flash. This means the key has to be OFF to write to flash...learn something new every day. I assumed that having the key "Disabled" in the CPU meant it was not doing anything....doh. CPU was also set up to use RAM.

Now....what function does the key actually perform on a 372 CPU?
When does the CPU actually load from flash when the CPU is set to use RAM?

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned the protect switch in the front. Sorry for not being specific enough. šŸ™ƒ

Somewhere along the line the key switch changed from being a "run/stop" switch to a variable use protection switch.

The functionality of this switch is described in GFK-0467M on pages 2-15 & 2-16. Not the most obvious since it isn't specific to your CPUs, but it can be found here https://ge-ip.force.com/communities/en_US/Documentation/Series-90-3020Micro-PLC-CPU-Instruction-Set-Reference-Manual-en-US

I am somewhat suprised it didn't give you a pop up error message for write protection issues, but at least you were able to figure it out! (y)

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned the protect switch in the front. Sorry for not being specific enough. šŸ™ƒ

Somewhere along the line the key switch changed from being a "run/stop" switch to a variable use protection switch.

The functionality of this switch is described in GFK-0467M on pages 2-15 & 2-16. Not the most obvious since it isn't specific to your CPUs, but it can be found here https://ge-ip.force.com/communities/en_US/Documentation/Series-90-3020Micro-PLC-CPU-Instruction-Set-Reference-Manual-en-US

I am somewhat suprised it didn't give you a pop up error message for write protection issues, but at least you were able to figure it out! (y)

Thanks for the link to the manual.

Thanks for the link to the manual.

You're welcome. It's always good to have links to relevant manuals wherever possible. It can be difficult to know exactly which of the thousands they have that will have the little bit of info that is actually useful. o_O