GE Fanuc 90-30 XP virtual machine issues

CRom11

Hi,

my client is using an old XP laptop to connect to GE Fanuc 90-30 using the Logicmaster 90-30 v.9.02 (I think, is there a way to verify this?).
I don't have much experience with the Logicmaster and only some with the Prophecy ME so please bear with me.
I have converted the laptop to VMWare Workstation and after some issue with triggering the activation on the XP itself and few (many) phone calls with Microsoft I've sorted the licencing.
My issue now is that the VM is not connecting to the PLC. I'm using the Panasonic toughbook with real serial port and existing cable the guys on site use for the old laptop. Can't get any USB to serial cables to work with Logicmaster only with Prophecy. Apparently there's some conversion that needs to be done to get the PLC to work with Prophecy and they've got some outrageous quote to get it done so they decided not to. As I said I have very little experience to comment on this.

Anyway, would anyone have any advice on some settings to check in the VM to connect to the PLC? As I said the physical machine connects almost immediately after starting the Logicmaster software and going online, the VM does not and I'm not sure what the issue is.

Last edited:
I've not got any experience with that software - the only GE Fanuc I've ever played with was so old it was backed up and restored using an audio cassette and a tape deck.

But in more broad, general terms - my guess is that there's something not happening correctly with your serial port passthrough. Having a physical serial port is great if your software is installed on the host, but if you're using a VM, I find a good-quality USB-serial adaptor to be a safer bet, because you can connect it directly to the VM, and install its drivers on the VM, rather than relying on the host to pass the traffic through correctly. Have you got a USB-serial adaptor handy to try?

Hi ASF, my understanding is that the Logicmaster will not work with any USB-Serial adapter, only ProphecyME, which is not an option for me

Hi Steve, it is 32bit, copy of an physical laptop that works

Why do you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong, I have no experience with GE PLC's so you could certainly be right. But I just can't see how the PLC would be able to tell the difference between a physical serial port and a good-quality USB-serial adaptor.

That's according to posts on this forum and also not being able to use one myself. I have 2 cables, USB-Serial, that work with Prophecy but will not work with Logicmaster.

I have had trouble establishing a reliable connection between the PLC and computer when using a USB/serial adapter with Logicmaster. Typical behavior is that it drops out and re-establishes frequently. The connection won't last long enough to transfer a program. I haven't done an exhaustive study of multiple brands of converter because I don't often need to use Logicmaster.

Unfortunately I'm not, need to get it going via LogicMaster

Would anyone know what is involved in converting the program to Prophecy? Will need to find out if the customer would be happy to do it so I'd like to know myself first before even proposing this.

If you have the Logicmaster project file converting to Proficy is pretty simple. You just start a new project in Proficy and import the Logicmasteer project into it.The there will be a few items to clear up due to differences in the ways the two software packages handle variables. Things like how Proficy will create a three element array for the %R adresses in each timer and counter where Logicmaster doesn't use arrays.
Just remember that you will have to download the Proficy program to the PLC to get to the "Logic Equal" status in Proficy. Also, once you've downloaded a Proficy program to the PLC, you won't be able to view the program using Logicmaster. If you want to go bck to using Logicmaster you will have download the Logicmaster project.

I have a suggestion which you can try in device manager go to the serial to USB converter driver settings and make sure that the parity, stop bits and data rate match with the CPU parameters

Hi gwemx,

How would I know the serial parameters if I can't connect to the PLC first? Is there a way to find that out?

I have never experienced a case where Logicmaster or Proficy failed to reset the Windows Device Manager settings for COM port if they differed from the settings LM90 or PME wanted to use.

One thing to watch out for with virtual machines is that the COM port number assigned in the VM may not be the same as the COM port number assigned by the host. In other words, the physical port you plug your cable into might be named COM1 by the host, but the host's COM1 might be named COM2 in the VM.

At any rate, the default serial port settings for 15-pin port on the power supply module are 19200 baud, odd parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit. Most users don't change it. Logicmaster defaults to the same settings, and most users don't change that either.

Last edited:
Hello @Crom11 and everyone

It's my first post, coming to GE FANUC 90 30 series I confirm that it can work with a VM which have XP 32 bit version.
Today I was at site and brought two laptop the first was a DELL LATITUDE D630 with Windows XP OS and rs232 port. I used ic690acc901 (purchased from Ali Express) and connect it to 9030 power supply 15 Port and RS232 of the laptop.
I open PME 6.0, open the project validate and went online.

Then I used my second laptop which is running under w10 pro 64bit, this Laptop have VM containing XP 32 bit.
I used the same cable (ic690acc901) and RS232 Male to USB.

When you plug the cable to the USB Port a pop up appear in VM to ask if you want to keep the device tongue host or the VM.
Check the VM Box =}
Ensure that the VM have the USB - 232 driver and port Com is recognised (in.my case it was port COM3).

I open PME in the VM, open the project.
Very important is to ensure that the Target (PLC CPU) is configure for Port COM3, if not you need to change it.

Then I have validate the project And went online

Hope this helps and remain available

Thanks,

My issue is going online with the Logicmaster software, I have Win7 VM with Prophecy and have no issue going online.