GE Funac Series One PLC

scadadavid

I have a problem with a GE Funac Series One PLC that controls and monitors a diesel generator. The problem is the generator went down and blew a fuse in line with the PLC and the electricians replaced the fuse and brought the power back to the PLC. The PLC has 24VDC coming into it but the Run and Power LEDs are not lit but the Inputs LEDs are lit. The electricians said in the past when this has happened they had to load the program back into the PLC using a cassette player. I am used to working with Allen Bradley PLCs and programming software on a Laptop so any information on how to establish communications and putting the PLC into Run mode or Loading the Program using a cassette player would be helpful. Thanks

There is a fuse on the PLC power supply. If the "PWR" LED is not on but there is voltage at the terminal strip, a blown fuse could be the culprit. It's also possible that the power supply could have gone bad. They were always the component with the highest incidence of failure.

The Series One is identical to the Automation Direct DL305, so you can still get replacement parts and tech support.

Ok but that wouldn't explain the reason why the Input Card LEDs are still lit. They have to get power from the power supply. I'm 90% sure its not an electrical problem, my main question is how I use the cassette player to re-load the program into this thing and how I can communicate with it.

If input lights are on but outputs are not, the PLC is probably in "Stop Mode".
My idea would be to get a DL305 CPU from Automation Direct and then use their software. You should be able to convert the GE Series One software to DL305. It will be a lot easier to download and troubleshoot then.

Right now I just need a quick fix to get the PLC back in Run mode but the plan is to replace it with a simple MicroLogix 1500 since it doesn't really do a whole lot plus it has the Ethernet capability.

Your old program may still be in the PLC. Do the STOP-to-RUN switchover before you attempt a cassette upload. Uploading an old copy can lead to other problems, so that is the last resort. After a few years, those old tapes got bare spots where the oxide flaked off, so you might destroy the good copy in the PLC with a partial copy from the cassette.

Last edited:
Here are the instructions from the Series One User Manual to load the tape (last resort):

GE Series One PLC Cassette Tape Loading.jpg

Ok I only got as far as plugging the grey ribbon cord into the front of the CPU and there is still no response from it. No LEDs lit up, nothing lit up on the hand held programmer. I turned the key to all positions and nothing happened. I tested for voltage everywhere on the I/O Cards and they are all getting 24VDC and the Power Supply as I said earlier is getting the 24VDC so I think the processor might have just got fried.

Ok but that wouldn't explain the reason why the Input Card LEDs are still lit. They have to get power from the power supply.
By 'power supply', I think Steve means the internal power supply on the base. The input cards are powered externally, so the lights will illuminate whether or not the base has power. They will probably light up even if the card is out of the rack!

Did they check if the replacement fuse blew?

Unless you have other reasons to switch to a Micrologix, I would just maintain the existing system. All the components are still readily available from AD. Would be worthwhile to get DirectSOFT and a cable so you can finally throw away the cassette... :D

🍻

-Eric

Another vote for obtaining a replacement DL305 from Automation Direct. Direct drop-in swap and even if you had to buy the software it would probably still be cheaper than Allen-Bradley.

Probably all you need to do is get another rack which also houses the power supply. If 120V is available, those racks seem to be more durable than the 24V versions.
Of course, if the rack held in this long... that's not bad service life. How many years has it been since GE dropped the Series One line?