GE Rx3i Modbus TCP

mjevans1

Does anybody have any experience programming the GE Rx3i CPE305 along with an ETM001 with a SmartMCC that communicates via Modbus TCP? I understand that I must use the COMMREQ block for each read and write, but wasn't sure if there was an easy way to manage the COMMREQs. I was hoping someone has done something similar and can shed some light. Thanks

Here are the routines needed in a Toolchest drawer:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=591232&postcount=16

Remember, when you copy from the Toolchest you 'Drag-n-Drop' while pressing the Ctrl key.

To summarize:
1. COMMREQ to 'Open' Read Channel
2. COMMREQ to READ
3. COMMREQ to 'Open' Write Channel
4. COMMREQ to WRITE
5. Monitor both 'Status' registers for Faults.
6. On Fault 'Close' and start over.
...If too many faults in a row Flag for manual intervention.

Last edited:
Does the SmartMCC provide a single point of connection to get data from every bucket, or does each bucket have its own Modbus ID? One of the setup parameters for each read or write COMMREQ is the "Unit Identifier" which is Modbus ID of the server device. If you have to read each bucket separately, you will probably need to change that parameter value for each read or write COMMREQ. Unless you plan to open a channel for each bucket. The ETM001 can have 32 channels open simultaneously.

Thanks for your help. I believe I will create separate channels for each device and just open all of them then just start reading and writing based on some timers.