General 840D questions

Ok, here is an update.

I finally got into the windows mode of the Sinumerik HMI.
Should I be seeing a "Sinumeric toolbox" or something in the siemens list?
The closest thing I see is "Sinumeric 840D -> Tools" and inside there there is "Install ePS-Network" and Install-DeInstall MCIS RCS Host"

Read thru the manual and it states
14.1 Data backup​
Introduction​
Data is backed up by means of the HMI. SINUMERIK solution line components can either be
backed up individually or jointly. You can select from:
● NCK (NC)
● PLC
● HMI
● Drives​
Operating sequence​
1. Selection of Data backup menu​
Operating range "Services > ETC key ">" > "Standard commissioning".

It says this is in the HMI, I don't see anything similar to it.

I did find a folder labled Transline. Not sure if that changes anything.

On the Sinumeric I have gone into the CP5611(MPI) diagnostics and done a read, it is seeing Bus Nodes 1,6 and 7 as Station Active.

I have not done the General reset yet. Waiting to verify with my boss that it is ok.

My plan at the moment since I have added a CPU317 is to connect the 840D via profibus and send commands to it from the PLC.
If this is the route I wana go do I still need to do a PLC reset on the 840D.

I'll read thru the manual a bit tonight.

Thanks Matt,

I used the write ups you sent me and was able to got the PLC/NCK reset.

I now have 2 solid green lights.
POK and PR, your write up said I should have gotten a flashing yellow CP, but that never happened.

When I boot up the trainer to the Sinumeric Desktop and goto Set PG/PC interface in S7, I can select CP5611 and run diagnositcs. I get nodes 1,6,7 and 13 (on x101 MPI). Occording to this manual I I should be able to connect to x122 (programming port) and see the PLC node 2 and NCK again at PLC node + 1.

I do not see the PLC node ever. I tried moving the purple hose from x101 to x122 and still couldn't see it. Is this where I need a special cable?

840D MPI.jpg

the two green lights are POK=power ok, PR=plc run. The CP light would be flashing because the plc is communicating, if it is not flashing it is ok.

the difference between connecting to x101 and x122 is the speed and type if you do not have the correct speed settings you cannot connect to the x122 ports.the picture shows x101 is 1.5mbaud x122 is 187.5kbaud. the difference in type also show in picture is OPI or MPI so you would change your driver in pg/pc interface to mpi or opi. The purple cable is the profibus cable it would need to stay attached as is, when looking at the ncu box the connection on the right will go to the operator panel and hmi only, the cable(if any) would goto the i/o, there is also a "fast i/o" port x111. You also must have the 840d toolbox installed to step7 or you will not be able to communicate with the plc on the nc card, this may be your problem.6FC5252-0AX21-0AB1 i think this is the number for the software but you should ask your siemens rep