Get Status of Panelvew Plus 7

dmoore26

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking read the connection status of a Panelview Plus 7 Standard v9 with a ControLogix PLC v24 to be able to create an alarm in a SE application if communication is lost between the PLC and HMI. Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks.

Global connection. Use the tag that reads the Seconds from the PV. Attach that to a tag in the controller that's labeled HMISeconds, or whatever you'd like. Then create a tag labeled HMIWacthDogSeconds, or whatever you'd like.

All below on the same rung
NEQ (Source A HMISeconds) (Source B HMIWatchDogSeconds)
MOV (Source HMISeconds) Dest (HMIWatchDogSeconds) Timer (RES)

Rung Below
With no logic in front of it TON (Timer)

Branch
(Timer.DN) OTL (For alarm bit)

Global connection. Use the tag that reads the Seconds from the PV. Attach that to a tag in the controller that's labeled HMISeconds, or whatever you'd like. Then create a tag labeled HMIWacthDogSeconds, or whatever you'd like.

All below on the same rung
NEQ (Source A HMISeconds) (Source B HMIWatchDogSeconds)
MOV (Source HMISeconds) Dest (HMIWatchDogSeconds) Timer (RES)

Rung Below
With no logic in front of it TON (Timer)

Branch
(Timer.DN) OTL (For alarm bit)

Ill give that a try, thanks.

I use the global connection method to write Seconds into the PLC. That not only verifies that there's a good network connection, but also that the FactoryTalk View application is still executing.

Because FactoryTalk Linx cannot establish a cyclic I/O connection, you should not put a PanelView Plus into the I/O tree. It used to interfere with the connection, but now it just wastes a buffer.

The old PanelView Standard terminals could run an I/O connection, and the modern PanelView 5000's have a sophisticated cyclic connection for fast pushbutton type features. But not the PV+.