Good, concise books on control systems engineering?

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all, I'm relatively new to being a controls engineer (4 years in) with no other engineers at my company. I feel like I have a decent understanding of most things control systems engineers should know about, yet I feel like a rookie still because of having no one to learn from really. I was wondering if some of you could recommend some decent books aimed at taking a beginner to the intermediate/advanced level, going into great detail about when to use this type of control vs. that type of control, problems/troubleshooting, etc.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses, going to check them out over the weekend.

Checked out Amazon and ratings and whatnot, ended up getting the Shinskey book, A Guide to the Automation Book of Knowledge, and Process Control for Practitioners.

17/18 people rated Process Control for Practitioners a 5, can't be bad.

Checked out Amazon and ratings and whatnot, ended up getting the Shinskey book, A Guide to the Automation Book of Knowledge, and Process Control for Practitioners.

17/18 people rated Process Control for Practitioners a 5, can't be bad.
It depends on what kind of control you are trying to do. There is a difference between process control and motion control. There are also different techniques for calculating the tuning rules that the process control people use. Some use SSE, ITAE, IAE and there may be others. They all will return different results. So which one is best? It depends on your application and goals. Different authors have their preferences but will it be the same as yours? I am not a fan of using these methods. Read this
http://blog.opticontrols.com/archives/884
You can see I made a comment years ago. I made those calculation I mentioned almost 20 years ago.

Years ago Shinskey was on the Expertune forum.