Hach SC4500 Modbus TCP

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I contacted Hach and bought a kit they recommended for a customer to add Modbus TCP capability to his Chlorine Analyzer with a SC4500 controller. ~$560 and 3 weeks later this was delivered.

whataripoff.jpg
I thought there would at least be some electronics involved at that price and that there would be RJ45 sockets, but no, it is just two cable adapters. And for that kind of money, the instructions should include a touch more than a pictogram of how to plug in the two cables which is all that came with it. So I have questions that are not answered in the 7 Hach manuals I have perused so far.

1. Why are there two cables?
2. Is the M12 Ethernet socket a single standard that I can buy adapter cables like this off the shelf from a 3rd party and it will just work?

I have one of those on the floor right in front of me. On mine there is a module needed that has 2 rj45 ports on it. Mine also has M12 to rj45 cables not like yours. Maybe yours is a newer model than mine.
This is also one of those devices that you need to set up the "telegram" to push the values you want into the modbus register locations. Like the SC1000.

Is yours perhaps an Ethernet/IP or ProfiNet version?

I think I know the reason for the price. There is a license certificate for Modbus TCP included in the package. I probably have to enable that feature by entering the license info somewhere deep in the SC4500 menus.

I have worked with the SC1000 on Ethernet using Modbus TCP and didn't have much trouble setting up the data telegrams. It was bought and installed by others and had RJ45 ports ready to be connected.

I don't want to spend another $100 on special adapter cable(s) until I am sure I understand the pinout and get the right ones.

Page 3 of the instruction pictograms leads me to believe there are two Ethernet ports built into the main board. I replied to our Hach rep with these same questions, but got an auto-reply that he is out until the 18th. Maybe the Hach tech guy who was copied in on that thread will respond and guide me.

M12 4pin Ethernet.png

You are correct it is Eth I/P . Nevermind. The licensing option makes complete sense.

And the SC1000 is a special POS that needs to be replaced with something far better. Its tech was obsolete 20 years ago. But I digress.

---
And the SC1000 is a special POS that needs to be replaced with something far better. Its tech was obsolete 20 years ago. But I digress.
It's way better than the old SC200 Modbus RTU modules and documentation full of errors and omissions.

We have used HF Scientific and some other brands of analyzers and some of them are okay, but:

"Nobody ever got fired for buying a Hach/Fluke/Allen-Bradley."

You might be able to buy better, but you can't pay more.

I hate Hach. They were OK when they just did lab stuff, but since they started with in situ instruments their quality, service, and pricing are all sub par.

I'm with ya there. We swapped to Swan for several process instruments and I like them. Someday they will go ethernet and make me happy. BMT for Ozone are fantastic as well.