HART instruments experience anyone

cardosocea

Hello,

I'm a big fan of the HART potential in getting multivariable off of complex instruments like flowmeters and some pressure sensors, but haven't had an opportunity to implement it yet.

How's it been everyone's experience with this protocol?

I am now planning to install 4 flowmeters on my site with HART and seriously considering one of Prosoft's HART gateways to retrieve all the data from the meters rather than just flow. Sadly I'm stuck with Rockwell and it seems they only have one card available for CLX, whilst I'm stuck with a 5069 CPU on this application.

Let me know your experience and whether this is worth it or if it's best to just use the analog loop and plan for the future replacement to install a dedicated HART card for devices like this.

Last edited:
I've installed a number of HART devices but still no expert with them. I used HART cards from Rockwell and Spectrum Controls.

https://www.spectrumcontrols.com/

Also depending on your setup, E&H's Fieldcare use to be able to communicate with HART devices over the backplane using Ethernet in a ControlLogix and assuming you had the HART card installed. I believe the same can be done with Fielcare and additional software for the Spectrum Controls cards.

HTH

Not sure what brand flow meter you are planning on using but Endress has some that are Eth/IP that interface pretty well with Rockwell and gives you the ability to reset totalizer ect. With HART you only have access to the 4 variables.

Not sure what brand flow meter you are planning on using but Endress has some that are Eth/IP that interface pretty well with Rockwell and gives you the ability to reset totalizer ect. With HART you only have access to the 4 variables.

Sadly, the meters were bought before I joined and wire run already. They went with Emerson as it's sort of the site standard, though I don't really like it all that much.

For the future Endress is definitely a contender as I quite like their instruments in general and the E/IP you mention is definitely a plus, though it will be tricky running Ethernet in a hazardous area.

For the future Endress is definitely a contender as I quite like their instruments in general and the E/IP you mention is definitely a plus, though it will be tricky running Ethernet in a hazardous area.

Endress also makes a modbus version. I personally have never used with Rockwell but have used with Automation Direct's BRX line of PLC as well as a Siemens 1200. Took less than a hour in both platforms to read all necessary variables (flow rate and totalizer 1-3) and to send the reset command to clear one of the totalizers at midnight. I assume it would be just as easy with Rockwell and a Prosoft card.

Another nice thing about them is they can be powered with 24VDC so you just need to run one 4-conductor cable and your done.

Just a disclaimer, I don't work for Endress, I am sure other manufacturers have the same offerings, I am just unaware of them.

Hello,

I'm a big fan of the HART potential in getting multivariable off of complex instruments like flowmeters and some pressure sensors, but haven't had an opportunity to implement it yet.

How's it been everyone's experience with this protocol?

I am now planning to install 4 flowmeters on my site with HART and seriously considering one of Prosoft's HART gateways to retrieve all the data from the meters rather than just flow. Sadly I'm stuck with Rockwell and it seems they only have one card available for CLX, whilst I'm stuck with a 5069 CPU on this application.

Let me know your experience and whether this is worth it or if it's best to just use the analog loop and plan for the future replacement to install a dedicated HART card for devices like this.

Too bad the Compact 5000 doesn't yet have HART analog available.

I use them extensively on Compact and CLX racks. Talks to (mostly) Emerson Rosemount flowmeters.