Has anyone ever seen one of these?

jrexrode

I'm looking for a device that I'm not sure is or ever has been mass produced. If anyone knows of such a thing, or anything like it, would you let me know.

Ideally, it is a device that you can set an address on using 2 BCD switches. This address would then be sent out as a pulse stream. So, let's say the address is 25, then maybe there would be two pulses follwed by a pause, then followed by five pulses followed by a longer pause than the first, then the sequence starts over.

The purpose for this I have in mind is for tooling identification, so that instead of using multiple inputs for identification, I can use a single input. I've searched and can find circuits where the pulse rate is based off resistance value, but I haven't find one based off BCD switches, which I would think would be more involved than potentiometers. I'm hoping there is an off the shelf solution.

You could do it with either TDM or FDM not sure which would best suit your application, but for TDM you could use an acurate timer device/relay that for say tool 1 gives out a 10ms pulse tool 2 = 20ms tool 3 = 30ms pulse and so on. (I have already done this when outputs were at a premium). The plc can handle the logic and decide which tool is present. This way you can get quite a few variations in a short time period. FDM I am not sure if there is a device that could do this at your budget but I'm sure there are folks that frequent this site that will tell you. Regards Badger