Have you folks ever heard of a SEW Motor cause interference Mettler Metal Detector

Cydog

Good Evening ,

We had a Mettler Toledo Safeline Metal Detector acting unstable last week . We brought Mettler Toledo in to look at it . Strangely we found out a SEW Eurodrive
Motor about 10’ away was generating EMI , causing this Safeline Metal Detector to become unstable .

Have you ever heard of an SEW motor causing this ? Really , the combination of this motor and metal detector have been in this location for a few years .

We replaced the motor , and the problem is solved . What would cause this in a SEW motor ?

Thanks so much in advance .

I haven’t seen it with that drive but I have seen it with others
If you can try changing the carrier frequency you may have to try a few different frequencies until you find the right one

Although perhaps not in your case if it was interference, however, we did have a similar problem, the metal detector was connected via braces to the infeed conveyor, had the same problem, it turned out to be the bearings on the conveyor motor were worn causing vibrations on the metal detector, as a temporary measure we removed the straps & changed the motor & gearbox, we re-strapped the units together after replacement as bubber often would knock the conveyor into the metal detector belt, the gap was very small due to the product being small.

Is the motor driven by a VFD ?
If so, maybe the screen was improperly connected.
When you replaced the motor, the screen got connected properly, thereby fixing the problem.