Having a blond moment

Soggy Canuck

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I've gone out and purchased a Techconnect contract with the intention of upgrading my CLX software. Presently have V13-16 residing on a Windows XP SP3 system. I need V20.4.
So I get onto the upgrade site and dutifully enter my company and serial number and am presented with a grand total of one choice(V27.00).
First dumb question: Will V27.00 work on XP?
Second dumb question: Will this include the V20.4?
If the answer to either of these questions is no, where do I have to go to find access to V20.4?
I spent 25 minutes just lurching around to get this much cooperation from the Rockwell site(and here's me thinking Siemens was fun!).

RSLogix 5000 left Windows XP compatibility behind at v21, when it became Studio 5000.

And in general the downloads have just one version; it would be many, many gigabytes to include them all in the download.

My experience has been that when you buy a TechConnect contract, it gives you access to all of the earlier versions of the software that are still supported.

In the case of RSLogix 5000, that generally means back to v10. Earlier software has been by-request-only because older versions require early XP service packs or even NT/2000.

But, I've had folks claim that they had activations (which would be tied to a serial number) that were limited to a single revision of the software. My local RA office says that's not something RA does, and I certainly never heard of it in thirteen years I spent supporting RA products. It's exactly the opposite of the basic principles that RA has applied to software support for decades. And none of those people would agree to help me follow up on the question, mumbling something about special contracts and site activation agreements and Australia.

When I log into the download site, I get a pull-down menu that defaults to v27 but allows me to select anything back to v10.

Call your local RA office, or RA Tech Support, in the morning.

So are you going into the "Software downloads by serial number" entry point or have I missed something.

Yes, that's it. I put in the Company Name and the Serial Number, then enter "Studio 5000" for the search term and up comes the software.

Edit: Using "RSLogix 5000" as the search term comes up with different results; stick with "Studio 5000" or the 9324-RL part number series.

V27 shows in the version field by default, but there's a pull-down selector that should get you all the other versions.

Studio5000DL.png

AHA! My screen defaulted to 9324-RLD700NXENE, which only shows the latest and greatest. I missed the product change drawdown menu. Senior moment resolved!
Is there a compatiblity matrix somewhere that shows which version of RSLynx I will need for v20.04?

Each version of Studio5000 download includes the [latest at the time of publication] version of RSLinx. If you have an older version it will be updated, if you have a newer version it will be skipped over. (Same for Factory Talk activation software)

I have a hard time navigating the AB website, so I usually just call the TechConnect Support number and have the kind people over there email me a link to download the versions I request.

Ken Roach said:
...none of those people would agree to help me follow up on the question, mumbling something about special contracts and site activation agreements and Australia.

I saw this last week and had a chuckle, but it's been bugging me all weekend - is there actually something special that goes on with us upside down customers, or do you just have an Australia-related childhood trauma causing a long term uneasiness with all things Australian? :whistle: