Help backing up OP177b panel

geoplc

I am trying, without success ,to get a backup of the program in our OP177B PN/DP panel for future use if the existing panel dies. I have tried both ProSave and WinCCFlexible with the same results. I am trying to do this with the ethernet connection and a crossover cable. When I try to backup the project I keep getting "unable to connect " fault, although if I ping the panel I get good responses.

On a second matter, if I try and open the original project file I get an error "cannot attach the database C:/....>hmi to the SQL server. Make sure the .hmi and_log.ldf files match."

This is the only machine we have with Siemens plc/hmi so my exposure is pretty near nil.o_O

Re upload to Prosave:
Have you enabled the ethernet connection for remote controlnon the OP177B ?
You can also just set the panel in transfer mode from the startup menu.

Re WinCC Flexible project file:
As a minimum, a full WinCC Flexible project contains a *.hmi file and a *_log.ldf file. If one is missing, it is impossible to open the project.

Thanks JesperMP for the reply,

I finally got it to work, did not realize I had to put ith panel in transfer mode. I did a complete backup, is this what I should be doing? Also I expected to see a *.psb file generated in all the files it copied but I do not see any file of this type. If this is the case how do I restore the backup to a new panel without the *.psb file?

I found the *.psb file, am currently trying to now restore it to our new spare panel. I'm having problem getting the connection established again. The ethernet port is enabled, IP address is correct. On the start menu there is a "transfer" button and a "start" button. What is the difference between these and which should I be using? Do I press the "Transfer" button then start the restore on my PC or vice versa?

Channel 2 should be selected to ethernet and both enabled and remote should be selected.

You have to select the "transfer" button. "Start" is run the HMI runtime software...
Ideally if remote is select then the panel automatically switches to transfer mode on detecting the prosave connection.

You need to press the 'transfer' button on HMI and start the restore from prosave.

It is far easier if you can get hold of a MMC card < 512mb. Just plug it in and do a backup from the existing OP177b and then plug in and restore it to the new one. It takes about a minute for the whole process.

Update:

Got everything to work. I put the panel in transfer mode then had to leave to take care of a few issues on the floor. Came back panel was still 'Connecting to host". On the PC I clicked "start restore" and it established comms, downloaded my programs, etc. I then backed it up to the SD Micro memory card. Still not clear on why I had tried this exact process 200 times (except for the 5 minutes I left the panel in transfer mode)and could not establish comms.

Thanks Rohan,
The reason I did not take the mem card approach was 2 fold. First my existing panel was older style and only accepted MMC cards. I purchased a few but the panel did not recognize them, did not want to spend $80 for a card from Siemens rep. My new panel will accept SD/MMC.

Secondly I remembered reading in the Siemens manual that they recommended doing a complete backup the first time with a PC and not the card, not sure of their reasoning. I did backup to my SD card when I was done.(y)