Help- Basic troubleshooting question

micsea14

Hey guys. Quick question from my job assessment.

b. You observe that a panel light fed by a 24vdc output is barely illuminated when the output is off as confirmed with automation. When measuring the output of the digital output card on the PSS, you notice it reads 2.1vdc, even when the output is off. What should be done to resolve this situation?

I have looked through different scenarios and found what seems to be multiple answers to this question. That is all the information that I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it looks like you have an LED lamp and it is not drawing enough load to pull the voltage on the output down leakage current
Change the lamp an incandescent lamp
or install a loading resister with the lamp

Had a similar in-use situation.

Turned out the 0V going to the common terminal on the AB Sourcing DC output card was not grounded and that terminal to the grounded 0V terminal strip read about 3.6 volts which was enough to hold a solenoid valve on when the output turned off. Even adding a relay coil to the output wouldn't bring down that 3.6V.

Check the grounds.

If you have a short, disconnect wiring 1 at a time to see what effect it or makes the problem go away.
Disconnect field wiring
Disconnect wiring harness
Disconnect the bulb
etc...…..