Help choosing a PLC

Stephen,

If the seril port on the Data Logger is connected to the modem, then how are you gonna connect the data logger ot the PLC? or am I missing something and the data logger has TWO serial ports that can be configured individually?

Thanks, Mike.

Mike,

This method is only if you are using the modem to access the data logger:

PLC / Port 1 = data logger = modem ...... modem = computer
\ Port 2

The data logger has two serial ports, one specifically for the PLC, one specifically for the PC.

I hope this makes sense.

"The data logger has two serial ports, one specifically for the PLC, one specifically for the PC."

Ok, now I get it...thanks.

JesperMP said:

One minutes search on google revealed THIS one.
It has datalogging, internet connectivity, and FTP client and server functionality plus much much more. OK it is a PC, but a very rugged one.
If you dig a little bit more, you will find some that are cheaper, Linux based, neither Linux nor Windows based, dedicated, open-ended etc. etc.

Thank you so much Jesper,

I really liked these units, the Tech support was very nowledgeable and friendly, I gave them a list of my needs and they are going to get me a set price on them TODAY !!

Thank you again for taking the time to research that for me.

Carl...
:) :) :) :p

Glad I could help "NewTo..".
But it is just a coincidence that I found this particular RTU unit.
Spend some time looking for other suppliers. There may be other units that are cheaper, or suits your requirements better.

JesperMP said:
Glad I could help "NewTo..".
But it is just a coincidence that I found this particular RTU unit.
Spend some time looking for other suppliers. There may be other units that are cheaper, or suits your requirements better.

Just wanted to thank you and everyone else and let you all know that I have decided to use the Industrial Controls Links http://www.iclinks.com/ EtherLogic Ultima for my project, is has more features in one single unit, High-speed Ethernet, 3 Serial Ports,1 RS-485 Port ,Internal Modem/Radio ,Programmable Logic ,32-bit Math ,PID Control ,Built-in HMI/MMI ,Data Logging ,Alarm Logging and Paging ,Data Concentration ,Remote Program Updates ,E-mail with file attachments ,FTP Data Transfer ,Ethernet & Web Server ,8 Universal (AI/DI) Inputs ,4 Analog Outputs ,20 Discrete Inputs ,12 Relay Outputs ,2 Pulse Inputs ,I/O Expansion to 8,000 points ,Built-in UPS/w battery manager ,Switchable low power operation ,AC/DC powered
3 Year Factory Warranty ....... what else could one ask for :).

Thank you all again for your input
Carl....