Help me how to start PLC/ SCADA Project

winraiej

I am in automation supplies industry and my company is planning to go through PLC / SCADA project. I have experience in PLC and SCADA programming but i do not have enough knowledge what are the things/steps i need to ask to the customer before proceeding the scada programming. anyone here advice me what are the things i need to the costumer such as documents/ control point etc. before i accept the project?

I am in automation supplies industry and my company is planning to go through PLC / SCADA project. I have experience in PLC and SCADA programming but i do not have enough knowledge what are the things/steps i need to ask to the customer before proceeding the scada programming. anyone here advice me what are the things i need to the costumer such as documents/ control point etc. before i accept the project?

Hi,

You first need a list of all design documents the customer has and get as much information as possible:

I/O lists
P&ID diagrams
Functional specifications.

Find out what the equipment is required to do and all of the Valves, Sensors, pumps etc that are required. This depends on your experience level, if a client tells me they want a reactor, fermenter or UF/DF filter I already know what types of control and equipment are required so will usually have a meeting with the client to agree the details.
In your case a meeting with the client to discuss what documents they have, what the system is required to do, what level of alarming, data collection and operator control is required.

Also:
Do they require 1 Scada display or multiple client displays?
Do they require recipes?
What user access control is required?
What historical displays are required?
Check the license of the scada as some are on number of tags and some on nuber of displays - you need to review this with the design to make sure you have the right level.

This is just a quick reply just to give you an idea (you can always ask me anything in spanish via a PM if you have another question and I´ll try to reply when I can)

Regards,

Neil C

Also, agree with the customer what an in scope change looks like and what an out of change scope looks like.

For example if they want a pump to be blue instead of violet, who pays for the extra development time?
If they want the information displayed across three displays instead of 2, who pays for that?
If the design doesn't work and you need to add filtering or additional logic, who pays for that?

it is much nicer if the customer knows what to expect in these situations. Be honest and say if your quote doesn't allow time for minor changes of scope.