help needed with SLC-500 and 1771-IFE ...

one more note ... you said:

I am not clear completely as how to use these (BTW and BTR commands) for more than one anlog input.

let me try to clear up that bit of confusion ... when the processor executes a BTR, it literally TRANSFERS a BLOCK consisting of several words of data from a device into the processor’s memory ... so in almost every case, the only thing that you need to do after the Block Transfers are correctly set up, is to make use of the data ... I’ve given you one rung as an example (for an air-conditioner test) in the program I attached above ...

in simplest terms, once you have ONE of your thermocouples working correctly, then all of the other seven should also work correctly ... all you should have to do is connect them to the module and the data will start to show up in the next seven consecutive memory locations ... specifically, you do NOT need a fresh set of Block Transfers for each individual thermocouple input ... you just need one set of Block Transfers for each “intelligent” I/O module ... one Block Transfer Write will execute (usually just once per power up) to “configure” the module with the proper scaling ranges, etc. ... from then on, one Block Transfer Read will be executed repeatedly to bring in the data (data from ALL of the channels) from the module and deposit it into the processor’s memory ...

I hope that this helps ...

drawing

Dear Sir,

Thank you for such a wounderful reply. I have made this drawing. I did not used the IXF module although with such a good reply from you, I believe I can do that too. In the mean time while I will be working on that, you can guys can have a look at this drawing and tell me if some thing is wrong with it.

Regards,

Naeem.

Last edited:
Hi Naeem,

That looks OK to me, except that you should have a seperate "stop" button as well as the emergency stop. Also an emergency stop should disconnect all sources of energy so if there is some hazard posed by the solenoid valves then the e-stop should disconnect the supply to these devices too.

Perhaps use seperate inputs for e-stop and stop to the PLC so that it knows the difference between a "normal stop" and an "emergency stop".

I would also use a 1746-OB16 with sourcing outputs, sourcing outputs give less chance of a field wiring fault causing undesired operation of the connected devices. With sinking outputs, a short to ground between the device and the PLC could cause the device to energise.

I would appreciate if you make these changes in the Drawing and then upload it, so that we all can better understand it.

John:
I dont have the ACAD R14, if any body has both versions then kindly post it in the R14 as well.
Please post a ladder logic program for the above mentioned Project Drawing. You can make the changes as you mentioned before.
Regards,

Naeem.