HELP. PLC5 wont saved changed IP address

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a PLC5/40E that I need to change the IP address of. I have changed it multiple times and it keeps returning to the original address.

I have tried it online, I have tried it offline and then uploaded, received the prompts that the IP address will be changed... but it never does.

I'm gonna feel like an idiot when someone explains it to me but I have to get this done.

Whew... Discovered that you MUST do this over Serial port. Even though ETH port change pretends to occur, INCLUDING a confirmation dialog of the IP changes.. it does not completer that process.

Hooked up over DF1 serial and it completed without issue. Lost a lot of time today because of that lying dialog box.

Here's the article on this issue.
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/40740

For all Ethernet enhanced PLC-5’s and some Ethernet sidecar modules you cannot change their IP address while communicating with them over Ethernet. This is normal since the module would have to break off Ethernet communications to allow the change to be implemented. This includes Ethernet port configurations on the channel configuration screen. In some software versions it will prompt the user to use the current or new configuration but the new configuration is not applied if selected.

The best way to configure or change any Ethernet settings would be to communicate with them via DF1 channel zero or Data Highway Plus and make the necessary changes there.

myWow, and here I was panicking every time I forgot to reset the MicroLogix 1100 configuration to DHCP when I write a new program, and get that popup when I go to download it.

You'll be glad to know they haven't completely abandoned that approach to things. There's a similar situation when (I think) changing the revision of a powerflex 525 drive online. So, you add your drive to the tree, download, go online, and your drive can't connect. You check and realise it's a different revision, so you select the different revision and click apply. It applies, but still doesn't communicate. You can power cycle everything including the PLC, and it'll show you that it's go the new version configured, but it's lying.

Go offline, change the revision and download, and voila, drive communicates.