Help with GE Fanuc communications module.

yam785

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have to change out a 311 communications module, in a 90-30 series rack. My question is 'If I replace this module with the new one, will I need to get into the program to do any type of set-up'?
It is for a machine that is running, and communicates with a HMI device of the type I'm not sure of at this time. I am using VersaPro software. Can I connect to the CPU, and upload the program, without having any offline program?

Any help, or suggestions, with GEFanuc, would be appreciated. Where to find manuals, without having to go through the hassle of signing up to GE, would also be of big help.

Thanks

For manuals, go here:

http://globalcare.gefanuc.com/

Click on "Product manuals. No login required"

If you are simply replacing an old CMM311 module with a newer one, then you will not have to make any changes to the configuration.

You can connect your computer running VersaPro to the PLC and upload the program and configuration from the PLC to the PC, but you will not get any variable names or rung comments. You may need to create a program folder with the same name as the program running in the PLC before you can upload. You can find the name of the program in the PLC by establishing a connection and looking at the PLC properties. You don't have to have a program folder open to do it.

Just a note on VersaPro programming the configuration changes such as setting the protocol, SNP/RTU, com speed, address, for each of the ports will have to be done, if you change a CMM311 module. The CPU must stop before loading configuration changes. After changing configuration you can restart the PLC. As Steve suggests above get the program and configuration before you change the CMM311 module.