Help with Powerflex 40 on Devicenet - Error 071

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I';m hoping someone can help me with this one...

Yesterday, one of two Powerflex drives wouldnt power up. We changed the drive, but re-used the Devicenet adapter (Node1). Drives fires up fine without adapter installed, but faults on error F071 (Net Loss) when it's attached.

If I take the same Devicenet adapter, change the DIP switch settings to node 2 (the same address as the drive that didn't burn out) and install it on the other drive, it works fine. So, I know the adapter is OK.

Parameters that affect comms (A103 - A107) are identical to the partner drive. P036 = 5, P038 = 5)

Anny suggestions?

I';m hoping someone can help me with this one...

Yesterday, one of two Powerflex drives wouldnt power up. We changed the drive, but re-used the Devicenet adapter (Node1). Drives fires up fine without adapter installed, but faults on error F071 (Net Loss) when it's attached.

If I take the same Devicenet adapter, change the DIP switch settings to node 2 (the same address as the drive that didn't burn out) and install it on the other drive, it works fine. So, I know the adapter is OK.

Parameters that affect comms (A103 - A107) are identical to the partner drive. P036 = 5, P038 = 5)

Anny suggestions?

Is it possible you have a bad/damaged cable connecting the 22-COMM-D to the first PF40?

Stu....

Is it possible you have a bad/damaged cable connecting the 22-COMM-D to the first PF40?

Stu....

Cable is OK.

There is one PLC (CompactLogix) and three nodes on the network. Node 1 was the drive that failed. nodfe 2 is the sister drive and node 3 is a Festo pneumatic valve bank. Node 2 & 3 are OK.

When I take the 22-COMM-D off node 1, reconfigure the DIP switches to node 2 and re-apply power, it works. If I reconfigure the 22-COMM-D from node 2 to node 1, it won't work.

I tried moving the Pheonix connectors around with no improvement.

Cable is OK.

There is one PLC (CompactLogix) and three nodes on the network. Node 1 was the drive that failed. nodfe 2 is the sister drive and node 3 is a Festo pneumatic valve bank. Node 2 & 3 are OK.

When I take the 22-COMM-D off node 1, reconfigure the DIP switches to node 2 and re-apply power, it works. If I reconfigure the 22-COMM-D from node 2 to node 1, it won't work.

I tried moving the Pheonix connectors around with no improvement.

I would take the Problem PF40 out of the DeviceNet Scan List, note its I/O Location first, and then put it back in in the Scan List, and remap the its I/O. I have had to do this before because of slight differences between the old VFD and the new one. However, I can't remember if the Communications problems were on the Drive side or the DeviceNet side.

Stu....

I would take the Problem PF40 out of the DeviceNet Scan List, note its I/O Location first, and then put it back in in the Scan List, and remap the its I/O. I have had to do this before because of slight differences between the old VFD and the new one. However, I can't remember if the Communications problems were on the Drive side or the DeviceNet side.

Stu....

Thanks. This never occurred to me, but it's worth a try. I'll be surprised if it helps, though, because the drive is reporting the Net Loss error.

Thanks. This never occurred to me, but it's worth a try. I'll be surprised if it helps, though, because the drive is reporting the Net Loss error.

I agree, it might not help, but I think it is still worth trying. Yes, it is a very strange error in this situation. I suppose it is possible there is a problem with the new VFD, but it seems unlikely. The Troubleshooting information for that Error in the PF40 Manual is pretty obvious, and I am sure you have looked at those. I don't recall ever having that Error on any of the PF40s I have worked on.

Do you have another PF40 to try and eliminate the VFD itself?

Stu....

Solved!

We had to remove node 1 from the Devicenet schedule the re-schedule it.

I thought this would have been a simple change-out, but Allen-Bradley hardware always seems to have something quirky that you have to contend with.

Thanks for the help, guys!