Help with Program

Maybe the whole thing's an initiative test? Your OP said
the teacher hasnt explained anything
at which point I thought "Hmmm, he's not much of a teacher ...".
Then you added
seriously the guy handed us all these projects and just said make sure theyre done by the end of the semester
Now I don't know what kind of class this is, but even if it's free you're not getting value for money. Have you tried approaching this "teacher" thing and asking him for advice? If you're supposed to learn all by yourself, then he's got a d***ed nerve expecting to examine how well you've taught yourself!

Ken

Let us get a little pragmatic here.
When I went to college (both a BS and MS) I found that the good instructors valued us older students. We were not afraid of them and had the idea they worked for us.

Are you paying tuition?
IF so your instructor is supposed to work for you.
Dont put up with this half *** lazy instruction style.
Make him earn your tuition money.

You have received good advice on what to do in this thread. You do not seem to have taken advantage of it. I wonder if you are listening to your instructor as well as you listen to us and heed our advice.
SO FAR -- YOU FLUNK

The big challenge in PLC or any other control work is understanding what you want the machine to do.
Your homework is:
In plain English
1. write a step by step sequence of what happens.
2. Make up a list of switches (inputs) and loads (outputs)
3. Now then in programming language assign names ie Input 1 (or whatever teh program wants you to follow for naming)

Dan Bentler

thanks everyone for your help. this class meets every tuesday and thursday so when i go back in on tuesday ill try a few ideas that you all have given me. what i tell you about my instructor is no exaggeration. he doesnt help us at all. and when i ask for help he doesnt dumb things down for me. i know some people learn better on their own, but i need at least some guidance. thats why i came to you all. and so far you all have given me more help than he has in 5 weeks. when i get home ill post up the project sheet he gave us. some of them dont even make since. but ill put up what i think of for project one when i get home also. thanks for everyones help

Also look up truth table it should pull up plenty of examples but if you need help understanding that then let us know you will want to create a truth table for any programs you write another useful tool to learn is how to build a flow chart of your problem it helps keep track of the steps you need to do to accomplish a task

ive done a few flowcharts in my software for mechanics class and a few truth tables in my digital class using and, or, not gates. my teach hasnt shown us where to go once we get the truth table in PLC's

well if you understand the boolean logic as to how to design a circuit to match your truth table then its a simple translation from that to ladder logic within Hint the rung layout determines if its and and statement or an or statement

examples

-|a|---|b|-- =a and b
-|a|------- =a or b
|
-|b|--

a c ---+----| |----+------|/ |

| b |

+----| |----+

in this case (more advanced) a or b and not c

edit: oops the save chnged the way I had typed this in

Last edited: