Help with simple program

In the majority of PLCs the internal processors are isolated electrically (usually by opto isolation) from the input and output circuits (I have seen some exceptions in some analog cards). This prevents damage to the internal processor if something bad happens on the input or output circuits. Thus there is no direct connection from the CPU power supply lines to the supply connections on the input and output modules, whether integral to the CPU chassis or as add on cards.

In your case you happen to be using the same power supply for the CPU and the input/output circuits. Thus you are having to make connections which seem to you to be superfluous. Believe me - they are not.

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams mentioned in my previous post?

edited: I jumped right from the email and didn't see the previous several posts.

Last edited:
I agree with Doug you probably should take a look at the wiring schematics that are provided by Automation Direct. If you know how to interpret them?

Thanks guys, I didn't find any wiring diagrams with my Click 2.0 software..

So usually a different power supply is used to the one powering the CPU?

So for larger applications I would need another 24V power supply independent of the power supply I have now right?

The looks of your Power supply you have a 1.5A max. that would run a pretty big system. Dependent on what your running. you start getting into servo amplifiers you will need a separate Power supply. Assuming your just wanting to learn the ropes you have a killer set up.

The main reason to have separate power supplies is for cases when the field wiring shorts out and pops a fuse or breaker, your PLC stays "alive" having its own power. If you have all your eggs in one basket, and the basket gets torn open, you lose all your eggs. For a test set up on the bench, there is usually not a problem having only one supply, just be sure you are prepared for what will happen if you short it. will it destroy the supply? pop a fuse? crowbar and shut down temporarily?

Not exactly I believe the Ziplinks are kind of a method of organization and cleaning your wiring up. Also are good if you have separate enclosures. 1 cable going through seal tight or conduit vs a dozen or more wires going through seal tight or conduit.

In terms of programming it, is this the correct program to just have the LED light up when the switch is turned on?

Because at the moment the LED is not turning on with the switch so I'm wondering if its the program or my wiring again.

VsdXQDXKfyI.jpg

Its a normally open switch and when its triggered it will turn on the coil- LED?