Help with Stratix 8300 Routing

robw53

i am setting up a network with a stratix 8000 and an 8300, im using the 8300 just as a router for the devices connected to the 8000, this link is over fibre utilising both the ports on each, i have spent all day today trying to get the devices which are connected into the 8000 to communicate but im not seeing anything, from the 8000 i have a cat5 which plugs into a 5700 located in the electrical panels, at present i have put this connection straight into an L33ER to get communicating before i connect in the 5700.

to just go over the setup, the IP address of the 8300 and 8000 are 10.10.5.10, 10.10.5.12 respectively. the smartports on the fiber are set for switch for automation and are all on the default VLAN 1.

in the 8300 i have setup an extra VLAN 636 under the VLAN tab and then on the IP ADDRESSES tab i have given it an IP of 10.6.36.1 (the automation devices on this VLAN range from 10.6.36.1-10.6.36.25)

in the 8000 on the IP ADDRESSES tab i have setup a VLAN 636 with the IP address of 10.6.36.1, i have setup the port Fa1/6 as automation device and the access VLAN as 636 to match that in the 8300. on the EXPRESS SETUP tab i try to enter a default gateway of 10.10.5.10 to match the IP address of the router but when i do this and submit it, it doesnt take it and comes up as undefined in the box.

i have screen shots for the 8300 and 8000, could somebody maybe advice as to why i can't seem to see the PLC in RSLinx, does it matter which Ethernet driver is used for this?

i have also included some views of the layout, you will notice that there is actually two 8000's as this will be the final configuration, and that i have two PLC's which will need to communicate over two different subnets/VLAN's VLAN 636 and VLAN 620

Infrastructure View.JPG Switch View.JPG

I see one problem you have assigned both the 8000 and 8300 the same IP address. Each router needs a different IP address in the 10.6.36.1 subnet. I.e. change the 8000's IP address to 10.6.36.2 (or some other unused IP address).

Basically, each router has multiple IP addresses. One for each VLAN they are connected to. As normal you can't have multiple devices with the same IP address.

Also, the gateway needs to be set to something in the same subnet. I.e. the gateway needs to be 10.6.36.1.

In RSLinx, you have to make sure you're on the same subnet. I set up a different Ethernet/IP driver for each subnet. Of course to get this to work you have to enable directed broadcast on each subnet via cisco ios (there is no way to do it via the web interface).

If you just use the Ethernet driver, then all you have to do is configure all the client IP addresses in the driver setup.

Thanks for the reply, I will change the IP in the 8000 to 10.6.36.2, I did try this with just setting the VLANS in the 8300 and just having the Managment VLAN setup in the 8000 so that with remote access they couldn't see the 8000 when they connected with RSLinx.

One thing I am struggling to set is the gateway address in the 8000 I have tried 10.10.5.10 but every time I accept it refreshes without it retaining it. I'm right in thinking that if should be the actual IP addresses of the router and not say 10.10.5.1?

When you say the gateway for the 10.6.36.xx I have 10.6.36.1 setup as the gateway in each device on that subnet like the PLC etc. is there any other place I need the gateway of each VLAN entering? I couldn't find anything other that the IP address of the VLAN which I entered in the router setup

I see that you have not enabled routing. Go to the IP Addresses configuration of the 8300 switch and select enable routing. Without this checked no packets will be routed across VLANs.

I'm at a loss to explain why you can set 10.10.5.10 as the default gateway on the 8000 switch. If the IP address is set to 10.10.5.10 and the subnet is set for 255.255.255.0 it should accept it.

Sorry, I'm not in the lab so I can't test this set up.

I'm at a loss to explain why you can set 10.10.5.10 as the default gateway on the 8000 switch. If the IP address is set to 10.10.5.10 and the subnet is set for 255.255.255.0 it should accept it.

Sorry, typo in that, it should read "If the IP address is set to 10.10.5.12 and the subnet is set for 255.255.255.0 it should accept it."

You can't set the default gateway to be the same as the IP address, ever.

I didn't set the Gateway address the same as the IP address I always had the gateway in the 8000 the same as the IP of the 8300.

Sorry, typo in that, it should read "If the IP address is set to 10.10.5.12 and the subnet is set for 255.255.255.0 it should accept it."

You can't set the default gateway to be the same as the IP address, ever.

I didn't set the Gateway address the same as the IP address I always had the gateway in the 8000 the same as the IP of the 8300.

The bit about don't set the gateway to the same IP address was to be clear that the instructions I gave initially were wrong. So, that if someone came along and jumped in the thread midway, they wouldn't follow my boneheaded directions.

Are you able to set the default gateway in the 8000 to 8300's address yet? or are you still having problems with that?

I'm still unable to set the gateway, what I did do is I moved the 8300 into the cabinet where the cat 5 come in from 5 machines that I want to route between just to test, and I configured them to route subnets not VLAN's and that worked perfectly, I'm guessing that my downfall with routing over the network is due to not been able to enter the gateway address as it works perfectly fine if I have the machines directly connected to the 8300

I'm still unable to set the gateway, what I did do is I moved the 8300 into the cabinet where the cat 5 come in from 5 machines that I want to route between just to test, and I configured them to route subnets not VLAN's and that worked perfectly, I'm guessing that my downfall with routing over the network is due to not been able to enter the gateway address as it works perfectly fine if I have the machines directly connected to the 8300

Rob

Look here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=72661&highlight=stratix

Post # 8-10 is this the issue you are having?

I suspect you are indeed correct. Have you tried setting the gateway address via RSLogix or a telnet session?

Have you heard about Cisco Network Assistant? It's a more powerful way to configure these beasts. Let's you manage several switches. Free download from Cisco.