Help with Ultraware error messages

neilgehrke

I connected to an Ultra 3000 drive using Ultraware and I am able to monitor the drive for a short time only. After a minute or so, I am greeted with a popup message that reads as follows.

" Host Control Mode: An improperly formatted message was sent to the drive.
Notify Technical support.

It then asks me if I want to access this parameter in the future Yes or No?

This continues for each parameter being monitored, and then I will lose connection to the drive. This is the first time I have ever dealt with Ultraware and wanted to run this past the forum before I called Tech Support.
Thanks.
ultra3000.jpg

I got that last time I was dealing with ultra 3000i. Try changing the baud rate down to 19200. Are you using a usb adapter? or serial? This could be the adapter sending incompatible data messages to the drive that it does not understand.

Well lowering the baud rate didn't work, I couldn't connect at all, but I had success using an older laptop with a physical serial port. Thanks for the help.

I'm sorry I can't be of help but just had to comment that has to be the stupidest software error message I've ever seen. It's like the development team came up with a generic OH **** message for anything that crapped out. I'm still chuckling...

The last encounter I had with an Ultra 3000 was a trouble call about a month ago. I had the software and had previously uploaded parameters from this same drive that had problems. So I go to the plant with all the confidence in the world and sure enough they have replaced the drive and need my help downloading the parameters to it. So I open the software and after 15 minutes of trying to figure out how to download to it I call an AB guy. Turns out you drag and drop from offline to online to download. Said all that to say this - I'm not surprised to hear of this error message. Not trying to bash the product but I'll tell it like it is when I find something that's obviously not fully developed like the Ultra3000 software.

I have used Ultraware extensively and have found it to be a very solid piece of software. Very stable and good interface IMHO.

From the Ultraware online help (beginning of the Ultra 3000 section):
If a drive is located in an:

• On-Line Drives branch, its settings are those of a drive that physically exists on-line on the network.
  • Ultraware File, its settings represent off-line settings that can be assigned to a like-kind on-line drive by copying (or moving) that drive branch and pasting it onto a like-kind drive in the On-Line Drives branch. (This will over-write and replace the settings of the recipient drive branch and its children.)
You said that you had uploaded drive parameters previously, which I assume you did by dragging the Online drive icon to the Offline drives area. Wouldn't you expect that reversing that procedure would have the opposite effect? Personally I find the setup to be quite intuitive.

I respect your opinion and value what you say. I'll take a new approach - a step back - and try again next time. We are always learning in our profession.

I obviously need to learn the product but at some point you expect to be able to figure things out. I was able to upload without dragging and dropping. I did this by showing up at the plant and installing the software and doing the upload.

When I returned for the download I searched the help and after a painstaking 15 minutes with all eyes on me (we've all been there, right?) I called an AB drives guy. He told me he gets this call all the time - and that's when he steered me towards the drag and drop. There is no Drive - Download or similar file menu command.

That "drag and drop to download" thingy has bitten me too. I don't think it is intuitive. Intuitive is when there is a menu option somewhere that does the same thing, or a pop-up balloon message that lets you know what to do.

IIRC, I found the answer in the help file (or on here?) after just a few minutes of hunting, so it was no big deal.

That was the only minor problem I've had with Ultraware, so I would agree with Kolyur that it is a pretty solid bit of software.

There is no Drive - Download or similar file menu command
In spite of my previous post I will admit that having an actual "Download" or "Upload" command in Ultraware would be preferable, especially if you don't know the drag-and-drop trick. Software should be designed so that you can figure out basic functions without having to refer to any documentation.

I understand that Paul B was just venting and his point was valid. I guess it just struck a nerve with me because I encounter so much truly crappy software in this business. When I do occasionally come across a program that works well, I feel I have to defend it.

Point taken, to all. And I was venting, as recognized. I try to refrain from that but we are all human. I very much respect your guidance.

Okie - you have a new avatar!

Know this thread is a bit old but I eventually found a solution to this exact problem. When you go into the com port properties to set the baud rate etc., also turn off FIFO buffering. HTH someone else.