High Density encoder input

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have an applications, where we are looking to connect 16 encoders for a simple PLC control. Most of the HSC modules I've seen for AB are 2 channels, and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for reading 16 encoders.

It is a simple application 2 Outputs per motor (fwd/rev), with position feedback. Only one motor will be moving at a time, quadrature feedback, with no index....

Any advice appreciated.

there are a few options available to you.
1, switch encoders to the one HSC Card
2. there is a company that manufactures Odd cards for AB - Forgotten name ???
3. if your are using AB VFD's it may be better to input the encoder directly to the VFD and send the position data to them.

Thanks Ian,

These are controlling motor adjustments on a press control. I thought about switching the encoders, but would like to track each encoder individually (in case of undirected movement). All the motors will be a simple starter control, (possibly with softstart) We will have an autoadjust which will turn on the motor and stop it at a preset position (+/- stopping offset) The encoders will also control software limits.

We will be using a RedLion HMI and prefer AB PLC's if required.
Normally this is controlled via the Cieco Press Control, however we are limited to 12 axis adjustments. We would like to keep all the axis controls together, but I am running out of options searching for an elegant way to get 16 counters into the PLC....