Hirschmann RS20 vs Eaton/Cooper 2080E-T 8-Port Managed Ethernet Switc

elmatador

Hi All

I have an Ethernet IP MCC application with the option of Hirschmann RS20 switches or Eaton/Cooper 2080E-T. I was wondering how your experience was with both type of switches? The starters and VFDs will be setup on switch level ring. There will be 5-6 devices per switch and each switch will be interconnected as a ring back to a dedicated Ethernet controllogix card.

The Eaton switch claims to have a less than 20ms recovery time on a ring fault with upto 50 switches. This is extremely fast. I was unable to find detailed info on Hirschmann but from some various websites it looks liks Hirschmann is greater than 500ms. The Eaton switch is the standard offering on the Eaton MCC. The Hirschmann Switch is more expensive and my understanding is that it can be added in the IO tree in RSlogix5000. Noise immunity is critical as The switches are in a MCC environment.

I was hoping to get some pros and cons between the two based on your experience. Here is the link for the Eaton:
http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...s/2080e-t-8-port-managed-ethernet-switch.html

A Hirschmann document on recovery times is here.

They claim <10ms for 5 switches for one of their protocols. I guess the question is what is the recover time you need for the application? I have never used an Eaton switch so I can't compare. Hirschmann has always been fine for us; only issue is some of the older products use Java for the web-based config and it makes it VERY painful to continue to support these due to to nearly all major browsers refusing to load the Java apps needed. They may have this issue fixed by now... if not, the web based config, though nice and simple, will be a difficult option.

I am not overly familiar with switch configuration but a fast recovery time would be desirable as all the motor starters and VFDs are being controlled over Communications. I have heard of Hirschmanns before but not the Eaton switches. Being able to retrieve diagnostic information from the hirschmann By the controllogix plc would be beneficial. The eaton literature doesnt mention anything about Ethernet IP messaging.

Has anyone configured a RS20 in a ring setup with 10 switches? I am wondering about the performance. I want to ensure we select a robust switch which will not be problematic

Hi All

I have an Ethernet IP MCC application with the option of Hirschmann RS20 switches or Eaton/Cooper 2080E-T. I was wondering how your experience was with both type of switches? The starters and VFDs will be setup on switch level ring. There will be 5-6 devices per switch and each switch will be interconnected as a ring back to a dedicated Ethernet controllogix card.

The Eaton switch claims to have a less than 20ms recovery time on a ring fault with upto 50 switches. This is extremely fast. I was unable to find detailed info on Hirschmann but from some various websites it looks liks Hirschmann is greater than 500ms. The Eaton switch is the standard offering on the Eaton MCC. The Hirschmann Switch is more expensive and my understanding is that it can be added in the IO tree in RSlogix5000. Noise immunity is critical as The switches are in a MCC environment.

I was hoping to get some pros and cons between the two based on your experience. Here is the link for the Eaton:
http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...s/2080e-t-8-port-managed-ethernet-switch.html

I've commissioned thousands of Hirschmann switches in the past years, and wouldn't use anything else.
The RS20, and the RSB20, when compared side-by-side, spec-by-spec, are actually pretty close.

Hirschmann hiper ring is very fast recovery. Have it on a ring of about 30 switches and never had any problems. If your doing Device Level Ring (DLR protocol) they also have switches which support that too.