HMI Advice

nic00

I am currently in the process of upgrading one of our PLC's (GEM80 -> Controllogix L71). As part of the upgrade i wish to install a HMI, this will be used to show faults, speed references etc. The HMI will not need any data logging functionality.

Can anybody recommend a HMI that they have used on a project recently (Trying to future proof this project as much as possible)?

Give AdvancedHMI a try. It is free and only takes about 10 minutes to go through the quick start, so you won't be out of much if you don't use it.

A lot of people use it with ControlLogix.

I am currently in the process of upgrading one of our PLC's (GEM80 -> Controllogix L71). As part of the upgrade i wish to install a HMI, this will be used to show faults, speed references etc. The HMI will not need any data logging functionality.

Can anybody recommend a HMI that they have used on a project recently (Trying to future proof this project as much as possible)?

Well since you have an Allen Bradley PLC, I would stick with an Allen Bradley PanelView, they really do work very well together.

Hi Nic,

I think you need to narrow down your HMI functional and platform requirements. You've done some of that already:

1. Compatible with ControlLogix
2. Basic Display features (speed references)
3. Basic Alarming features (faults)
4. No Datalogging or Trending
5. "Future Proof"; available long-term

The first few answers you've gotten focus on PC-based, low-cost software from small vendors.

The questions you should ponder and post about are:

6. Do you want a panel-mount display and/or touchscreen ?
7. How large a display do you want ?
8. Does the HMI need to be PC-based ?
9. Should it be based on Windows ?
10. Do you need remote access (remote desktop or smartphone) ?
11. What brands and hardware are stocked and supported local to you ?

Apologies for the late response but we had some problems yesterday. Obviously with the economic climate being as it is, the PC based options that have been suggested may be a beneficial solution (Thanks).

Hi Nic,

I think you need to narrow down your HMI functional and platform requirements. You've done some of that already:

1. Compatible with ControlLogix
2. Basic Display features (speed references)
3. Basic Alarming features (faults)
4. No Datalogging or Trending
5. "Future Proof"; available long-term

The first few answers you've gotten focus on PC-based, low-cost software from small vendors.

The questions you should ponder and post about are:

6. Do you want a panel-mount display and/or touchscreen ?
7. How large a display do you want ?
8. Does the HMI need to be PC-based ?
9. Should it be based on Windows ?
10. Do you need remote access (remote desktop or smartphone) ?
11. What brands and hardware are stocked and supported local to you ?

My original idea was for the display to be mounted on the front of the PLC panel. I was thinking approx. 7".

The HMI does not need to be PC-based nor windows.

Remote access could be beneficial.

Most brands provide support to us (Fairly substantial plant). I would like to try and condense our stock inventory, so i only have to use 1 item. I would not like to say how many different brands/models we currently use across plant. This will potentially save us some money too on stock levels.

I would like to try and condense our stock inventory, so i only have to use 1 item. I would not like to say how many different brands/models we currently use across plant. This will potentially save us some money too on stock levels.
This is one of the very good arguments for PC based HMIs. Even with many brands of HMI software, in theory they could all run in the same hardware platform, which will cut your spare parts inventory down. It is also beneficial when it comes to obsolete hardware. If your current hardware platform becomes obsolete, it's generally not too difficult to find replacements from many vendors that will work the same.

Of course the PanelView would be a good fit. Many of our customers will only accept AB products and one major reason is they only want to keep one type in stock, like you. Also, they only have to know one software one product line.

I also like to use IDEC, they have Allen Bradley drivers and I've used them with AB PLC's. Never with ControlLogix but I have with the MicroLogix series. I'm pretty certain they will also work with ControlLogix but I'd double check before deciding that route. Cost is very reasonable for hardware and software especially when compared with anything from AB.