HMI computer..best practice

I do a combination of all of the above. Only use the bare bones software installation so you don't have to worry about conflicting programs. Disable all drives. Lock the PC away so nobody can get to it. In addition, I make the HMI software password protected so only an administrator can shut it down and get to the desktop.

Most new computers now come with DVD/ CD writeable drives so these are too tempting for the night shift crew not to want to watch a movie or burn CD's while they pass the time away.

But no matter what, it does come down to supervision/ management, because someone will eventually get access to the password or the cabinet key and they will try to get on the internet or load games or watch a movie or whatever. You just need to make it as hard as possible to do, and have the protection in place for damage control once it happens.

Just a thought, We have 15 clients computers on the production floor.
I am useing a program called desklock from Rockwell, The operators can only use what programs i set up for them to use,. Its not 100% fool proof but it will slow them down.

The amount of junk manufactures put on computers now a days is staggering. It sure would be nice to order a computer with just the OS.
You can, they are called "Embedded" systems. They can be designed to allow minimal operation and drive space, you would need a second drive for data collection. A nice side effect is that you can use non-rotating media for the OS.

HMI via PC

jdbrandt said:
I'm getting ready to set up a number of Dell-type computers
for use as HMI terminals.

I'm wondering if anyone has any 'best practices' in this area.

Virus protection? (I'm guessing NO, since there's no internet
connection and way to update it.)

I'm curious what sort of setup you're planing?

eg RsView? 3rd party software? Another vendor entirely? I'm going to be doing something like this in the future. I was leaning towards providing the info via a web server (locked up in IT), and letting someone else worry about who is messing with the PC...

I have found that if we leave them with little or no obvious security, no one is challenged enough to fool with them. When we start locking them up, people feel challenged to test their hack skills.

We also use keyboard/mouse/monitor extender cables to keep the HMI panel small and put the hardware in a remote, more secure location. Our biggest problem in the past had been people stealing the RAM! But, I don't like locking down the USB and disc ports. All too often some tech (often me) has a legitimate need for them and then it's just counter productive to have it all locked down.

Another best practice that has saved our butts frequently is to use a removable hard drives with a key. That allows quickly restoring the system in the event of a crash (without having to open the case or use any tools), and also wipes out everyone's minesweeper high scores and fresh game installations. We just keep a clone of each drive and keep the backup locked up safely. Only drawback is losing recipe changes (if you use PC based recipe storage) and log files and such. But, if the hard drive crashes, you lose them anyway and need some other backup plan specifically for those files.

JMHO
PC