HMI Security Based in PLC (Allen Bradley)

remlapw

I am wondering if anyone has ever created a simple security faceplate+AOI for Factory Talk/ RSlogix to allow for PLC based security credentials.

Typically I will just use the standard run-time security settings in factory talk to lock out certain features of an HMI, while this works well it is cumbersome to add an additional user (in most cases it isn't required).

With an upcoming project I am required to have a login for each operator, password protected which the maintenance crew should be able to add a user/password through RSLogix rather than through creating a new FT runtime.

Yes, I know it is possible but I'd like to avoid re-inventing the wheel:doh2:. Specially if there is already an AOI out there by rockwell or another that does this for me!

It would even be nice to be able to create/edit a user and password from the HMI.

Regards,
Rem

Check out the new features in FTView ME 8 firmware which FINALLY allows the management, including adding/removing, of users from the PanelView runtime. It also FINALLY solves the problem of the FT local directory stepping on other projects in Studio. These new features and fixes should now eliminate the need to handle security in the PLC and allow us to move into the 21st century.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/613707
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/608976/related/1

Last edited:
That is good to know as I haven't dealt with a FT8 project yet.

I wish it was possible to convince the customer to upgrade but this is meant to be a simple added feature to an existing system.

Yes.....I have done Panelview with "simple" security.
For different levels of security I have 5 "password numbers" stored in the PLC.
The operator enters the "password number" and if that number matches the number stored in the PLC, the operator is allowed to "call" designated windows.
I will then clear number in register, so the "password number" has to be entered again to go to a different security window.
Other windows are also locked for Maintenance, Engineering, and Management.