HMI suggestions

Well...... It's hard to beat AdvancedHMI for being cost effective. It also has been tested on the Microsoft Surface over wireless. Since it's based around Microsoft Visual Studio, it should be possible to build ASP.NET web sites with it, although I haven't tried it personally.

The down side is that it currently doesn't have a native Siemens driver, but OPC can be used to get around that. An Omron driver is in the near future, possibly by year end.

Proface for a more easy setup or allen bradley but a harder or more advanced setup. I have looked in to ignition and I am going to try this next

Greetings,

If you are looking for an HMI that is hardware based, you may want to consider the touch screens from KEP. They are powerful and cost effective and range in size from 4.3" to 15". More information can be found through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/KEP/MMI8000.htm

If the HMI you are seeking is software based you will also want to consider a product from KEP called Infilink. It is run license based in pricing but there are price breaks based on number of tags used. You had indicated using approximately 300 tags, you would be in the 500 tag price range. The first pricing level is 250 tags. So there is potential, depending upon your application to be at the first price point. More information is available through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/KEP/infilink.htm

For both options, you can download the software. The programming software for the touch screens is free of charge. Infilink comes with a 2 hour run license. Also, Infilink includes a single OPC driver of KepserverEX. We are also a distributor for this product, therefore should you require more than one driver, we will be able to support you

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized distributor for KEP and Kepware.

Contact Ignition and tell them what you want.
They will put together a package for you.
I know they have a limited client version that is standalone.

You hit the nail on the head with wanting a solution that uses web based design and you should stick to your guns on that front. ALL PLC/HMI brands are going to offer this in the next few years or perish. Every hour you spend in FactoryTalk now is an hour wasted in two or three years.

The problem then becomes what PLCs that you have can interface with a web server or host their own so that you can read and write variables. You will probably have to get a software package that will translate OPC <-> SOAP for some.

InduSoft seems interesting, I looked it briefly over 10 years ago but haven't heard much lately. I also see that Invensys had took them over now who also happens to own Wonderware which doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.