HMI to LCD TV w/o PLC

zerokewl

Need some help/advice, I am trying to use an HMI possible with a TV-out (VGA) option, so I can push some manually fed data from the HMI to a Large LCD TV screen on a Machine, mainly for visual management?
Whats the best route to take care? I am avoiding
going through a PLC, so basically what u see is what u get on the HMI? Cause I need the manual data entry.

Thanks ALL :)

Hey Zero
IfI understand you correctly,your HMI has a VGA out?Wouldnt that make it a panel PC?Maybe a model number would help.

This may not help, but would a scrolling display be cheaper?

Alternatively - and this is on my next job to do - use a plc to automatically collect the data and send it to the HMI.

OR I certainly know proface HMI's can be connected via ethernet to a pc. Then connect the vga output into the screen. This may be cheaper than a panel pc?

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the HMI (Arista PC) I am using has a max resolution of only 800x600,
therefore putting a large LCD screen, would stretch the display, I like the idea of using a PLC to just extract data, it would have to be traditionally done, wire by wire, since I am going from a Siemens S5 AS511 protocol
to ...whatever! I thought about having a PC for each dedicated LCD screen, and they figure out how to get data to the PC
from the Siemens S5 (eeessshhh), maybe a Redlion DataPlus unit? Has anyone used that?

Last edited:
You could always use a TTL card and send the data that way.
I am also looking for a cheap way to get data out of a AB PLC5 and Control logix processors and display on a large screen monitor or TV. At one time there was a spread sheet program that was out there but I have not been able to find it. Would probably need RS Linx lite or something to get in.