Home PLC- Anybody ever use COMFILE Modport I/O?

smithe213

Hi All,

At work we primarily use Rockwell products and they are pretty good to work with and rock solid for industrial environments. A little spendy for hobby projects that don't make money though.
At home, I would like to acquire some 4-20mA and temperature (prefer RTDs) analog data and control a few devices via dry contacts. None of these are critical, failure would not result in anything catastrophic. A-D Click seems to have the most affordable analog I/O of the mainstream PLCs I have looked at but RTD inputs are still > $70CAD per point. In Googling I stumbled on Comfile Technology that has significantly cheaper IO that is accessible via Modbus (MODPORT). I would still need a PLC to control the IO but it looks like it would be easy to set up a Click or Micro800 to communicate Modbus to one of these I/O racks. Can anyone here attest to the quality/reliability of Comfile gear?

http://comfilewiki.co.kr/en/doku.php?id=modport:index

I'm looking to have a total of 12- RTD in, 4- 4-20mA in, 16- DC inputs and 8- Relay outputs. Anyone have other suggestions for affordable IO or should I just bite the bullet and buy a Click with the appropriate cards?

Thanks,

Let us know how they work. I found these years ago, and was wanting to try some at home but I have not yet pulled the trigger.

Have a look into ESP32's and the various project boards/Devkits available for them.

Adding to that I would be surprised if you couldn't do everything you needed to around a house with Raspberry Pi's, ESP32's and NodeRed. These give you a number of ways to implement soft PLC's, decentralised I/O, visualisations, vision and connectivity.

I like solutions like the Ethernet Click, but for a budget there are definitely alternatives - It just depends if you are factoring your time into that budget :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: