PLC for Home Automation

Sham

Hi all,

Has any one of you used PLCs for home automation sort of projects?
There`s a large commercial building essentially looking to give us a project to control lights, aircons, fans etc of the building smartly (via mobile app)?

The reason why I am asking about PLCs is because I dont want to use controllers like Pi or Arduinos for this large scale project, as this requires a lot of reliability, and we cannot afford to lose the client.

Any experiences like this? I was also thinking about using Siemens LOGO if that might be suitable?

Many thanks

I had a Micrologix controlling the lights in my closets so that when the door was open
the light would go on and if the door was open a specific amount of time it would go back out. I also controlled my own security system (door switches and motion sensors) that would all be controlled by my HMI, I even had Micrologix connected to PC to text me
on alarms.
I removed all of it after reading several threads here that when you sell your house it is actually a hindrance. Buyers don't want a system they know nothing about.
As far as a commercial install, as long as they understand what they are buying, PLC
will do the job.

I'm sure someone on this forum has done something similar. I have not.
I believe some of the HMI's might have an application that can go to an app.
I thought I read that but could be mistaken.

Automation Direct has a C-More HMI that you can get a remote app for so I am sure there are others. (I googled it)

I'm not familiar with the app for the Siemens LOGO, but if they're looking to use a HMI, software like Ignition or VTScada have thin-client support for mobile connection.

Sham- I am using a compact logix system with a 15" Cmore HMI in my house. I have remote capabilities of many things to include blinds, pool pump, pool temp, individual room controls, ceiling fan control, and eventually will be taking on the hvac as well. It does a bunch of other stuff as well this is just a short list.
At home the network is a little difficult to setup due to not being able to have a "static ip" from my isp. There are ways around this..... The Cmore panel is an excellent panel for this application. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the big boys stuff but there is always workarounds. The nice thing about this is its an ever growing system only limited by my imagination and time to actually add things.

Depending on what you want/need. Home Assistant which is a free Home Automation system can do dang near anything. Zwave and Zigbee are the two mesh networks for Home Automation systems. they build a redundant route network to get event and command messages through. If you want control of HVAC but have a EcoBee or Nest thermo then it can still do it with no trouble. It can do it via the cloud connections.

I'd thought about it but with HA and Node Red I don't see much need. Node Red is a function block like programming system.

note that Home Automation and Commercial Building Automation are wildly different.

Last edited:
Most data center and pharma manufacturing building control is done by PLC. However, for home automation I'm of the opinion to use standard off-the-shelf system like Samsung Smartthing, etc. for support, app availability, etc . . .

Ignition has a Maker Edition that is free that could be used.

https://inductiveautomation.com/ignition/maker-edition

There is a new Click Plus PLC that has built in Wifi (free software and low cost modules).
The newest version of Click software that supports it was received with a lot of groaning about the fact that it requires you to create a controller access password, but I believe the A/D team is working on a resolution to that gripe. Password protecting a PLC that can be accessed via wifi is probably a good idea though.

https://community.automationdirect.com/s/question/0D53u000038WdV3CAK/click-v300-forced-password

I have used the regular Clicks quite a bit with no trouble in some nasty environments and the software is much better than some of its A/D cousins. I have not use the Click Plus yet.

I have a small Allen Bradley collection running a lot of stuff in my house.

1 - SLC5/05. 4 - SLC 5/03's 1 - ML1400 & have a CLX -L73 in the works to replace the 5/05

A lot of Christmas lights, but I monitor & control:
Flood detector with alarms & incoming water shut off
Outside outlets (all are kept off)
Incoming water pressure
Water solenoids to 2 outside hose bibs (also always off)

Temperatures - outdoors, inside, furnace has 3, water heater, clothes dryer vent (for shutoff alert upstairs)
A few lights in security mode, including relays for the porch light & outdoor floodlights,
Solar battery voltage and charge & usage currents with backup battery charger when needed
Arduino remote control to TTL input card, programmed so the 4 buttons set one of 4 modes, then they control 4 things in that mode - for the CLX I don't have a TTL card so I got 4 signal conditioners with relay outputs to go eo DC inputs
Sensors on outside doors to know they're closed & deadbolts latched
Wired smoke detectors & motion sensors for my own alarm system - plan on glass break sensors and vehicle detector in driveway in the future
Monitor incoming AC voltage & log failures & restores - the 5/05 is on a dedicated UPS that runs it over 90 minutes
Electric blanket on bed in master bedroom
Outside outlet on back of house for slow cooker, set on & off times, then pause minutes, then pulse % every 100 seconds to keep warm
Outside outlets by driveway has battery charger mode that pulses off every 2 hours to reset an automatic charger until 7 AM

For HMI's I have a C-More EA7 and AdvancedHMI running on 2 computers and a Windows10 tablet

A few months ago I started a project at home to monitor my well pump, sump pumps, and water presence in a unfinished basement.

I've plumbed water to each of my 3 sump pits with an asco valve that is fired for 3 minutes once per week then checking current to ensure the sump pumps kick on. I've also got a few moisture detector spread around.

I'm monitoring my well pump to ensure it's not running much longer than it would take to fill a large load on the washing machine.

I plan on adding a pressure switch to check that it's above a setpoint when pump is on, hoping to catch a busted pipe or maybe if the pump has lost prime so it doesn't run for hours at a time when no one is home.

This is done with the Productivity 2000 starter kit. I'm sure it will grow over time and will definitely be adding a C More HMI in the near future.