What I need to practice PLC programming at home?

plcnoob69

I'm looking for some starter kits but there aren't so many on the market, so I'm thinking about buying individual components for my needs. I just want to run it by someone more experienced so I don't make a mistake. I think I need:

- A power supply for the PLC to convert my home voltage into 24V (can I just plug the PS as if it was a kitchen appliance? Do I need to buy a cable?)
- A PLC that is compatible with the power supply (I'm thinking Siemens s7-400)
- Some DI DO AI AO modules
- A bunch of wires
- An ethernet cable so I can download the blocks from simatic step7 into the PLC
- A backplane for the PS, PLC and all the modules

I think this should be enough for me to be able to do some coding, download it to the PLC and see the LEDs light up on the DO.
Eventually I would buy some sensors and motors and whatnot.

You mention S7-400 that is an expensive bit of kit unless you already have one as is the I/O & rack perhaps better off with 300, do you have the S7 V5.x software ? again this is expensive, it does come with a simulator but that requires an extra license although it works for a time period, also if you are not bothered which platform then I suggest Automation direct for example the domore platform the software as far as I know is free & has a simulator so no need for a real plc, there is also the Cmore HMI software.
The S7 300-400 is probably being phased out or may already be gone but the later S7-1200 > requires TIA which again is expensive.

You mention S7-400 that is an expensive bit of kit unless you already have one as is the I/O & rack perhaps better off with 300, do you have the S7 V5.x software ? again this is expensive, it does come with a simulator but that requires an extra license although it works for a time period, also if you are not bothered which platform then I suggest Automation direct for example the domore platform the software as far as I know is free & has a simulator so no need for a real plc, there is also the Cmore HMI software.
The S7 300-400 is probably being phased out or may already be gone but the later S7-1200 > requires TIA which again is expensive.

If s7-300 is cheaper that's fine too. They seem easier to find also. But I'm very confused about the prices, they range between few hundred to few thousand euros...
I do have simatic step7 installed on my computer

[..] S7-1200 > requires TIA which again is expensive.
There are starter kits with S7-1200 and TIA BASIC that costs approximately the same as an S7-1200 alone.

I do have simatic step7 installed on my computer
As cardosocea mentions, if your STEP7 includes PLCSIM S7-300/400, then that is enough for learning programming. No need for a physical PLC.

TIA and PLCSIM S7-1200/1500 would probably be the best way to learn by one self. Unfortunately to have PLCSIM S7-1200/1500 you need TIA STEP7 PRO which is relatively expensive.

I want to have a physical PLC because I want to learn the hardware, not the software. Eventually I would want to add some button, sensor, analogue sensors, motors...

I would prefer s7-300 or s7-400 because so far in my line of work those are the ones I've seen the most.

Then go for an S7-300. They are not so expensive used.
Best is of you can get a CPU with integrated ethernet.
If not, you will need an MPI Adapter.

Okay I understand that.
How about all the other things I mentioned, is there anything missing?
How will I give power to the PLC, do I just plug it in a socket?

@cardosocea why do you think that? I work in a big company so we have divisions and I'm doing only software, but I want to learn about the hardware as well, and all the IT stuff like SQL, OPC server, MES... I don't have time or opportunity to play around with all this stuff at work.

Okay I understand that.
How about all the other things I mentioned, is there anything missing?
How will I give power to the PLC, do I just plug it in a socket?

@cardosocea why do you think that? I work in a big company so we have divisions and I'm doing only software, but I want to learn about the hardware as well, and all the IT stuff like SQL, OPC server, MES... I don't have time or opportunity to play around with all this stuff at work.

Whichever PLC you get will have a supply power. Often times today it is 24vdc, but if you're buying something older it may be 120vac if it has an integrated dc power supply.

it's all dependent on what you actually end up with. I think getting familiar with the physical hardware is a good approach as it will allow you to be more self-sufficient, and not just a nerd with a laptop.

Those trainers from PLC cable would be nice to have for sure, but you could also build your own, although I'm not sure you'd save any money, you would however gain the experience of wiring it up.

I got a MicroLogix 1100 for under 200USD off of ebay, and RSLogix Micro Starter Lite software is freely available to program it. I use a 24V laptop charger to power it (along with my Siemens S7-1200), but I believe some models use 110/220V for power. You are not in the US but I suspect something similar may be available for you from India or China.

As someone mentioned, there are also the DoMore and Click lines from AutomationDirect, also Omron, Schneider, and many others, all with free software.

If you are more focused on the I/O and wiring, then of course you do want to have an actual PLC. But the emulators are good enough for learning programming; if anything they are better because you get more practice adding code in the PLC to model the process response as well.

Because the hardware part of a PLC is nothing more than what you can read in the manual... Want to wire a switch, look up the two terminals to connect the wires. Want to connect a transmitter? Look up the 3 different ways to connect a signal and then what? I get that you want to learn about it, but learning how to wire stuff to the PLC is a day worth of "learning", if that and you'll still have to read the manuals either way.