How did you get your foot in the door?

EBFD6,

I believe you already have one of the more difficult credentials under your belt--electronics. Not just electrian stuff mind you, but a solid understanding of Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's Law, and how dozens of various components and circuits operate.

I came out of the 80's & 90's military world having worked and taught "automated test equipment" (for avionics) down to the component level, but had never seen or heard of a PLC. After getting my foot in the bio-pharm door, my expertise with electronics (and a good mechanical background) enabled me to quickly solve a number of chronic electromechanical problems as well as begin learning how PLC's worked and were programmed. In some ways PLC's were a step backwards because I was accustomed to equipment that operated in nano and microseconds versus milliseconds found in most PLC's. Even so, PLC's are an industry standard in the automation world and very much worthy of learning and even mastering (although by time you master one thing, something else comes along and you start all over again).

If you have some time and money, I would encourage you to take one of Ron Beaufort's PLC classes. In one week you could go from your present level of understanding to a level that in some cases exceeds what some engineers out there think they know (I'm not knocking engineers either). In any group of professionals, there are boys and there are men. When I worked in avionics, only 30-40% of the techs REALLY knew their 'trons; the rest were parts changers or quick fixers. I think that holds true in many professional circles, including engineering. My point in all this is that with your background and training from Ron, you would have some serious credentials in your hip pocket. Ron provides the best instruction-to-time/money ratio out there. He will feed you as much as you can eat, so to say.

The real problem is your current employment situation. You have to decide how important learning PLCs is and what are you willing to do about it. Perhaps if you could strike a deal with your present employer that if you graduate from Ron's course, they will let you begin supporting PLCs. Perhaps you could strike a similar deal with a local integrator.

Do they have a laptop, software and a license? Taking the course won't do you a whole lot of good if you don't start applying the skills soon afterward.

Based on what you said, you're a top dog (comfortable) but without any apparent upward mobility opportunity. Tough decision in my book.

Keep us posted.

ShaRK

I was an electrician in an industrial facility for many years, I in turn worked hand in hand with our programmer. We became really good friends and spent almost 8 years working side by side, he never missed a chance to teach me something. He passed away a year ago and I took over his job since I was a slip in replacement, it was hard loosing my best friend, but he gave me something you can't buy, KNOWLEDGE!

EBFD, I was a marine electronics tech, but when I moved back to a landlocked location, I fell back on my original training (from the 70's) and went to work as an industrial electrician in a manufacturing facility; this was my first exposure to PLCs. When the facility moved across the border,I was able to take advantage of some educational opportunities and took every PLC course I could...then decided to finish my engineering degree. I now instruct at a community college where I originally took classes, I too had no desire to be installing conduit at 63! Unlike you, I didn't go back to school until I was 50.
One thing I can tell you with certainty: I learn something new from this forum almost daily that you will never learn in a formal environment...Keep reading and good luck to you!

EBFD,
I started in the consulting engineering business back in 1977. I had a 2-year degree in electronics engineering. My initial position was electrical draftsman, but I quickly moved into design work as I learned on the job.

Back then, when PLC work was part of a project, the Electrical team would do it. We would take the manuals, figure out the wiring and the progamming. We rarely saw the PLC hardware until startup. Expectations for programming were not very high. If it worked like it should, no one would or could question programming style. Programming effort during startup could be significant if the original program did not survive contact with reality, since pre-testing code was rare. That was then.

Over the years, my job title changed to Instrument & Controls Design and then to Automation Design. The situation has changed. The electrical team doesn't have anything to do with PLCs where I work now. The Instrument & Controls group does the wiring diagrams for control systems. The Automation group does the programming. We have some people that do both and we all work for the same boss, electrical too. Let me say this "People who understand electrical, controls and programming are VALUABLE".

Current situation, if you come into our company looking for a job in the automation group, you probably need an engineering degree or significant experience with the specific type of projects we do. We tend to hire two types: Young people with good education and a willingness to learn or older people with lots of experience that can go right to work on a project. We have better success with the latter, that's not surprising but we need both.

If you keep learning, you can keep up. At present I do a lot of different things:
Troubleshooting instrument and control hardware
Programming PLCs, HMIs and DCSs
Setup networks ethernet, controlnet, devicenet
Setup data logging to SQL databases
Pretty much anything our clients throw at us

If I had to pick one skill that I think is most important, I'd say "troubleshooting". All the rest can be taught in a straightforward manner. Troubleshooting is something you have a knack for or you don't.

I believe you can do well with the training you have. However, going back to school and getting that 2-year degree applied to a 4-year program at a good technical school that teaches industrial controls will make hiring you a lot easier, and probably impact your starting salary. Specific courses on PLC programming and networks were not available back when I went to school, they are now. Find a good school and you won't be sorry.

BTW, I think highly of Ron Beaufort's training methods. I have not had the opportunity to take any of his classes, but I like his approach. Look over his free videos to judge for yourself.

I was an elctrronics tech in the Navy, when I got out I worked a few different jobs in electronics. My friend ownes a company doing industrial controls. After years and years of begging him to give me a job (I was how hard can it be) he did so.
I was in for a big surprise, so much to learn, so many systems PLC'S HMI'S, dnet, controlnet, ethernet. He pretty much threw me to the dogs and I learned so very much.
This site was a great help and great people, I dont know how many times this sit got me out of a pinch but it was a bunch.
Almost 6 years later I have done so much and learned so very much, I was never able to attend schools, but the OJT and my boss being a great teacher I love my job.

I am in the same boat as you. i am still looking for my start into PLC programming. until then i intend to learn as much as i can on the job and online. i am a journeyman electrician. bbut i am also working on my instrument mechanic dual ticket. and i agree about the networking and database skills are needed in addition to everything else. alot to learn. wish i was older and i could have got into it when they were younger lol.