How far can an AC motor resist a weight

Prince

Mechanical engineers ask me a question with which I have no experience.

They asked me to select a servo motor 100kw for a cutting application that was noway servo-ish :D They want to move a rather heavy machine fwd on a speed ramp and torque on a 5s ramp which looks easy for the motor but then they want to stop it in 5s and they insist that the motor in any case whether acceleration or deceleration must not go faster than the ramp value. As far as I know in the deceleration phase, the motor is resisting the machine weight. how far can I trust a 100kw servo under this pressure? should I add 100kw of a matching size resistor?

not know your system better I would have to say you need a resistor and possibly a brake also to hold the load when not moving or a mechanical means to hold the load from moving.

In general, a drive can decelerate at the same rate it can accelerate. The key question is how often does it need to do it. When you need to accelerate/decelerate frequently you need a braking resistor to absorb the kinetic energy of the moving load.

your posting is the initial step in getting help.
several questions need to be asked.
mechanical engineers should be able to give you a lot more details than what you posted.
1. size and weight of the object AND platform it moves on.
2. size of the transport rail system.
2a. is the equipment top heave and balanced, this will really tell you your capabilities.
3. is the movement on a level surface.
4. is there room for a cable track system for the cabling.
5. length of movement.
6. distance of movement.
7. you may need a braking resistor
8. you may need a reduction gearbox and brakes.
servo motors will resist the load to a certain point, when they slip, they fault.
maybe someone else will help give better answers.
james

Any major servo manufacturer has motor sizing software where all these conditions can be modelled and the appropriate motor selected.

For example, this is free sizing software from Yaskawa: https://www.yaskawa.com/products/motion/sigma-5-servo-products/software-tools/sigmaselect Of course, it will give you a list of Yaskawa motors to choose from, but if you prefer another brand, you will get an idea what type of comparable motor to look for.

@VDDFG, you are advertising this site and the brand it is selling second time in short period, and it has nothing to do with original subject. We are here to share knowledge, not to sell stuff.