How I upgrade my modicon PLC?

wangy2000

I want to upgrade my old modicon 984 685E PLC with redundancy
to the newer version(Modicon Quantum processor). The logic software is done by proworx plus based on DOS. I must reserve the old program and remote I/O drop to use after updating.
Does anyone know how I migrate my old hardware and program software?

I can open the program (by proworx plus) in porworxk nxt , but can not open it in proworx 32. why?
Can I open the program in Concept software? how to convert my ladder logic software to concept?
How I get the proworx Nxt?

Your processor is using 984LL. The program can be directly exported to a Quantum processor that accepts 984LL. The rack addressing may need some slight modifications because your processor racks will have different hardware.

The actual ladder logic program will work with ProWORX Plus, ProWORX NxT, ProWORX32, and the 984LL editor of Concept.

The only difference in your ProWORX programming packages is the way they did the documentation and symbols. I believe that ProWORX NxT could import (and convert) ProWorx Plus files. I know that ProWORX32 can import and convert ProWORX NxT files. I don't think that Concpet can import any thing other than the program itself.

The easiest way to import any ladder logic program is to simply upload it from an active processor.

There is a couple of "gotcha's" when upgrading to quantum... 1st is the fact that an analog input card takes an extra register...for example if you use a 16 point analog input card your adresses now go from 300001-3000017......so if you have a second card your adresses are going to be off by one for every card...not a big deal but big enough if you dont know before hand...Also i would stay away from concept..it is a program conversion...not an import..meaning you COULD run into isuues with the conversion process...not so bad on a small scale but if its a big process i would convert and download to a "spare" unit and see how it goes...

dont think they offer prowork NxT now...that was for windows NT..but (and i dont know couse i still use Modsoft) i have heard that proworx32 is now a good stable product..

BTW..i did hear today that modicon has an upgrade rack and connector set now...you can change a whole rack in 20-30 mins...

Also if you do get in a jam i have a couple of 685E's and 785E's..

Darren

The Modsoft to Concept converter does convert program and documentation too.

So try do import Proworx to Modsoft, and modsoft to Concept.

darrenj said:
There is a couple of "gotcha's" when upgrading to quantum... 1st is the fact that an analog input card takes an extra register...for example if you use a 16 point analog input card your adresses now go from 300001-3000017

Isn't this only when you change the analog cards?

I agree that upgrading everything using the new adapters keeps your I/O current also.

If you stay with 800 series IO then nothing have to be changed.
You even dont have to change the local drop of the 984-685E. You can configure it as a remote drop. But you have to buy a P890-300 adapter.
If you want that the local drop remains local so you have to buy Quantum cards and to change the addresses of analog inputs, as Darren has explained.
Robert

Jim Dungar said:
Isn't this only when you change the analog cards?

I agree that upgrading everything using the new adapters keeps your I/O current also.
Ahh yes you are right Jim...i assumed he would upgrade the whole system.

darrenj said:
Ahh yes you are right Jim...i assumed he would upgrade the whole system.

The OP said he was keeping the old I/O.

I would recommend replacing any existing 200 series I/O as it is very hard to maintain. If it was my facility I would look into replacing the 800 series I/O also. With the current RoHS restrictions (the lead in solder problem) these old electronics will become very hard to find except in the "used" market. Buy new - sell your old stuff to defray the costs or keep it as spares (you know it works).