How is rexroth plc and motion controls

We just got a new machine in and it is all rexroth controls. How are they to work on?
Approximately how much does the software run ?
How hard is it to learn coming from an AB and others plc world.
PLC looks too small.
Drives look too big.
Thanks

If its the one im thinking of the contrller looks like a vehicle ECU. The system uses CANbus, thats as much as i know im afraid ive not worked on them myself.

You will really have to be more specific about what hardware you have. My guess is that since you mention drives that you do not have the system alanled100 mentions which is geared toward the mobile market.

My guess is you have a motion logic controller that look something like shown in the attached picture:
9k=

Generally, this will be the SERCOS master for a group of drives. If so, the programming is CoDeSys (IEC61131) based. The software for programming is called Indraworks. Unless you have a CNC type controller (MTX in Rexroth language) the cost for software should be less than a grand. There may be some add on modules for advanced cammimg that could add to that.

MLC_300x300_web.JPG

Last edited:
We have several machines that use Rexroth drives, and I'm happy to say I have no idea how they are to work on since they have never failed. We did have a 4 hr training session on how to download to them ect, but in 5 years we have never had an issue with one. Now if you want to know how the AB Kinetix drives are to work on I can tell you tons about them.

The codesys software is free,
learning is pretty easy, with the drives you will also receive a lot of Function blocks. Here is the real power of the software embedded.
i think it looks very much the same as AB.
if you learn how to program you can use it on over 100 other PLC.