How to configure eds file for multiple data types in input/output assembly

Make sure you understand the implications of using INT instead of SINT. For example, if your data is coming over 2 SINTs (Or 4 SINTs) and is byte-swapped then you are going to get the wrong value by trying to process the single INT. Another good example is a device that has mixed data of 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit types, where using INT may cross the boundary of different words of data (Again resulting in the wrong value). I guess the third example is if your device is presenting ASCII charaters as SINTs like a barcode scanner or vision system result. ASCII is better to process as a SINT array, as each character is represented individually.

If your device is providing all data as 16-bit words then INT shouldn't produce these issues.

Last edited:
You will have to be offline then change it and re-download. Can't do it online.

Make sure you understand the implications of using INT instead of SINT. For example, if your data is coming over 2 SINTs (Or 4 SINTs) and is byte-swapped then you are going to get the wrong value by trying to process the single INT. Another good example is a device that has mixed data of 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit types, where using INT may cross the boundary of different words of data (Again resulting in the wrong value). I guess the third example is if your device is presenting ASCII charaters as SINTs like a barcode scanner or vision system result. ASCII is better to process as a SINT array, as each character is represented individually.

If your device is providing all data as 16-bit words then INT shouldn't produce these issues.

Thanks for the replies, but I am not asking about how to use the EDS, I am trying to alter the EDS so that the default data type for the user to select defaults to the INT selection instead of SINT by default. Is that even possible?

Last edited:
Misunderstood, sorry. You'll find Data Type and Data Size in the Params section of the EDS. INT is 2 bytes of type C3. You may want to save your edited EDS as a different name and version to import. You can also get programs like EZ-EDS that will allow you to make/edit EDS files.

Code:
        Param3 =
                0,                      $ reserved, shall equal 0
                ,,                      $ Link Path Size, Link Path
                0x0000,                 $ Descriptor
                0xC8,                   $ Data Type
                4,                      $ Data Size in bytes
                "RPI Range",            $ name
                "",                     $ units
                "",                     $ help string
                2000,3200000,10000,     $ min, max, default data values
                ,,,,                    $ mult, div, base, offset scaling
                ,,,,                    $ mult, div, base, offset links
                ;                       $ decimal places

Misunderstood, sorry. You'll find Data Type and Data Size in the Params section of the EDS. INT is 2 bytes of type C3. You may want to save your edited EDS as a different name and version to import. You can also get programs like EZ-EDS that will allow you to make/edit EDS files.

Code:
        Param3 =
                0,                      $ reserved, shall equal 0
                ,,                      $ Link Path Size, Link Path
                0x0000,                 $ Descriptor
                0xC8,                   $ Data Type
                4,                      $ Data Size in bytes
                "RPI Range",            $ name
                "",                     $ units
                "",                     $ help string
                2000,3200000,10000,     $ min, max, default data values
                ,,,,                    $ mult, div, base, offset scaling
                ,,,,                    $ mult, div, base, offset links
                ;                       $ decimal places

Thanks, I have been using the OVEDA software, but it looks like you can only assign a parameter to the T->O and O->T size that is defined as a UINT.

Thanks for the replies, but I am not asking about how to use the EDS, I am trying to alter the EDS so that the default data type for the user to select defaults to the INT selection instead of SINT by default. Is that even possible?
Did you happen to figure this out? I'm having the same problem.

I should also add that it would be nice if there was a way to have EDS parameter names or help strings appear in the controller tag descriptions so that the user could know the description of each INT.

Last edited: