How to connect a panel view plus 400 with a control logix

Hi, I´m trying to connect a panel view plus 400 with a 1756-L61, and I would like to know if anyone did it already, and tell me how to do it, I think I have problems with the RSLINX Enterprise configuration....

The application works from the computer with ethernet communication, but it doesn´t from the panel view with serial communication

First, yes of course it has been done before, quite common.

One of the pitfalls for people new to PanelviewPlus, RSLinx Enterprise config. If I remember correctly, what you need to do is configure your Local and Target shortcuts. These define the comm path for your PC to the PLC (Local) and the PanelviewPlus to the PLC (Target). My money is on your Target shortcut isn't setup at all, therefore the PanelviewPlus has no idea how to reach the PLC.

You're using a ControlLogix and a PanelviewPlus and NOT using ethernet?

Last edited:
OK, I'll ask the obvious questions...

What are local and target paths set to?

Can you communicate from your PC to the PLC over serial?

What cable are you using between the PanelviewPlus and the PLC?

I haven´t tried to run the application from the pc with serial comunication, but I downloaded the application via serial to the panel.

the serial cable I´m using between PVplus and control logix is a normal serial cable, pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3 and pin 5 to pin 5.

targetconfig.jpg localconfig.jpg

You will need the standard null-modem type serial cable to connect from your PC to the PLC. You may have one already. If so you can test the project directly. If that won't communicate then the Panelview Plus won't communicate either.

Last edited:
I looked at my project which is similar except I use ethernet for a PV600, it looks as though you have your settings correct.
As Bernie says, you must have the correct cable. You can check this with a multimeter. If you have voltage between 2 & 5 at the plug (TXD) You should have voltage between 3 & 5 of the mating connection that way the TXD from one device connects to the RXD at the other.

TXD - - - - - - - - ->RXD
RXD <- - - - - - - - -TXD
5 <- - - - - - - - -> 5

Also check that the port settings match. I allways start out with a very low baud rate e.g 1200 at both ends, once you get it working then you can crank it up. A laptop with serial port is always handy to monitor traffic.
Good luck
Roy

the application runs from the pc via serial correctly, but it doesn´t from panel view , in rockwell support page I read that may be a problem with the firmware so I updated the firmware of the controller and panel view. rockwell page support says that i have to change error check to CRC in the serial communication config. in the controller and PVP, I did it. I checked the cable configuration too.

Another idea??......

Try connecting a laptop running a terminal program to the panelview.
Enter some data on the panel view and see what you get on the laptop.
Note: the laptops terminal settings should be the same as the PLCs
If you see just a bunch of garbage characters the chances are you have the baud rate or checksum wrong.
I use this method whenever I need to troubleshoot communications.
Note: I have never used it with a PanelView, but it should work.
The panelview has the port settings somewhere in the terminal settings menu.
Did you check your cable pinout as suggested earlier?
Good Luck
Roy