how to connect Proficy Machine Edition with GE Fanuc 90-30

Ahmadbasha

I want to Upload Project from GE FANUC 90-30 ,, i use Proficy Machine Edition V. 6
First i need to connect by COM cause it's only connection here , no EtherNet connection in CPU ,, so i made this Cable
post-13111-1261585686.gif

Then i Made Connection Configuration in Machine Edition , there is any option in serial connections ,, that i can make Test ,, the Test was ok for 3 times then i try to go Online , i faild after many retry then i Test Cable again , doesn't work , i checked cable ,, all wires are connected , i checked the program , even i install in on another two laptops and same problem , could any one please plase please tell me the trick of how to download project , , i have all manuals and i read much about it ,,

Could anyone help me?

Triple check the cable.
What is the exact error that Proficy Machine Edition (PME) is telling you?
Re-check the cable.
Are you using a USB to Serial adapter on the PC, if yes what COMM port is it using and is that the COMM port selected in PME?
Check the cable again.
What CPU does your system have?
Is it running?
Is the "OK" LED on the power supply "ON"?
Have you re-checked the cable?

Power Supply is GE FANUC 90-30 , CPU is 350 , i made three times Test by PME cause i wasn't alone and another engineer want be sure that cable is ok ,, it give me success with USB serial converter ,, but i also try same way in my laptop which i already have COM inside ,, and i always configure inside DEVICE MANAGER any COM to COM1 or COM2 ,

there is no error ,, the problem that Cable in begining success in Test ,, Later the PME act like cable is not connected to PowerSupply , so i wonder maybe cable had cut inside but i checked and all wires inside are working , three laptops same test as it's written in Manual ,, but important for me now is Make test success again ,, i thought i Damage the CPU but i tried another one and same problem ,,

the CPU was on ON Mode ,, by the way i want Upload Project , Not download , i want take Backup from the Project inside

when Cable test work for first time and i try to make connect ,, the PS Port led was blinking , and it take long time then unable to connect ,
this cable as i show is wrong ? or there is another one i can made here ?
i wish you can help me to tell me where is the problem

Based on what you have told us, if your information is accurate, I suspect that there is something wrong with the cable that you have.
This is the only cable that I know of that one can make without having a proper RS-485 port on your computer or a proper RS-485 to RS-232 adapter.
I have one of those cables that I built 12-15 years ago and use it a lot, I know that if done properly it will work even through a USB adapter.
Remember that this cable is NOT supported by GEIP.

Last edited:
so your advice is Make another Cable ,, but same PINout assignment ,, i think yes cause it work then not , and everything i done as on the Manual ,
Thanks for your Help and i will try Next Saturday and Happy easter for you

You ARE using the 485 adapter and not just the cable, correct? USB to serial probably won't work with the adapter (but it might!). A real serial port is what you need.

Help w/ GE Fanuc 90-30 CPU351 (Connect via PAC ME 10.2 on Windows 10 Terminal

Triple check the cable.
Re-check the cable.
Are you using a USB to Serial adapter on the PC, if yes what COMM port is it using and is that the COMM port selected in PME?
Check the cable again.
What CPU does your system have?
Is it running?
Is the "OK" LED on the power supply "ON"?

Error 8502: Unable to make connection with Target, another program is using the communications port.

Re-check the cable.
The cables I'm using are as follows: AS693232SNP connected to the 15-Pin Female Connector on the Power Supply Module; I'm using a Prolific USB / Serial Adapter. I've tried Null Modem and No Null Modem. (See snips and photos)
Are you using a USB to Serial adapter on the PC, if yes what COMM port is it using and is that the COMM port selected in PME? Yes. Com1 (See photos and Snips)
Check the cable again.
What CPU does your system have? CPU 351)
Is it running? I have it stopped, no program in the controller due to battery failure. Using and OLD backup that should be good.
On detail, I pulled it from a Logic Master DOS computer and imported into Emerson PAC ME 10.2. (Looks okay, but what am I missing?)

Is the "OK" LED on the power supply "ON"? Yes, Looks Good. Color = Green (both OK and PWR) See Photos and Snips

Here's some Photos and Snips
IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

Snips 10112023.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

Thanks so much! Need some expert advice....

John Whited
(740) 260-4569
email at [email protected]

IMG_2558.jpg

Snips 10112023.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

Error 8502: Unable to make connection with Target, another program is using the communications port.
What is on the other end of the cable connected to the port on the power supply module? Try disconnecting it. The 'SNP' LED on the CPU module should then go off and you should be able to establish communications.

Do you also have RS Linx on the same computer?

I have seen RS Linx capture COM1 so that Machine Edition can not use COM1.