How to create HMI pushbuttons in RSL5000

Okay, I apologize about the last question I threw up there. It was created before I read your response. So these are all the formats of human representation processor value: Binary, decimal, hexadecimal, octal, exponential, and float. Correct me if I am wrong because I'm writing all this stuff down in my notes. Is there any other types I am missing?

You've got all the major, most-used ones...

Just remember that these are display formatting only, and do not change how the data is stored in the controller's memory, which is always (as you would expect) in binary.

Another thing to remember when using Logix5000 is that it is a 32-bit "machine", and the optimal data-type used for decimal number storage is therefore the 32-bit data-type DINT, which can store the range of values -2,147,483,648 to +2,147,483,647.

Many people believe that it is more efficient to use a SINT (-128 to +127) when they want to store a number in the range, say, 0 to 20. It is actually less efficient using anything other than a DINT, because the processor will convert everything to DINTs to perform any operation on them, then convert them back to SINTs or INTs for storage. All this conversion takes time, so use DINTs at all times unless you really must use INTs or SINTs (e.g. if you are communicating data with an 8 or 16-bit "machine" that doesn't understand or support 32-bit DINTs.).

Also the minimum memory allocation for a tag is 32-bits, so using SINTs or INTs doesn't save memory either.

Last edited:
I'm going to play Ron Beaufort here 👨🏻‍🏫.

In an AB PLC:

A XIC examines the data table and looks for a "1", and if it is there it is true on the rung.

A XIO examines the data table and looks for a "0", and if it is there it is true on the rung.

The status of the physical switch dos not necessarily matter, if something else changes the value in the data table.

For more instruction that will help you understand the basic concepts go to his webpage and click on the link for "sample lessons & videos".

http://www.ronbeaufort.com/main_frame_page.htm

BOOL: 0= Cleared 1= Set
SINT: -128 to 127
INT: -32,768 to 32,767
DINT: -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647
REAL: -3.402823e^38 to - 1.1754944e^-38 and 1.1754944e^-38 to 3.402823e^38

These number values to the right of the Data types is information just for humans to read. They can be displayed in these ways: Binary, decimal, hexadecimal, octal, exponential, and float, depending on what your seeking. Those numbers are not of any purpose for the PLC. For the PLC to code those values for us, it is done through a binary format. They can be coded in these ways: BOOL, SINT, INT, DINT, and REAL. I hope that's right.

Last edited: