How to know connection types for plc modules

thewalkerist

I wanted to buy siemens 6ES7212-1AE40-0XB0 s7-1200 plc but i wanted to know if i can communicate with my plc with an ethernet cable or not.

And i need an explanation on other communication types such as rs-485 and whatnot. Can anyone help me?

I wanted to buy siemens 6ES7212-1AE40-0XB0 s7-1200 plc but i wanted to know if i can communicate with my plc with an ethernet cable or not.

yes- you can

And i need an explanation on other communication types such as rs-485 and whatnot. Can anyone help me?

see pic

1200modules.jpg

Ethernet as in which protocol?
It supports Profinet and Morbus TCP and as per JRW's post you may add communication mpdule or board for Modbus 232-422&485

Ethernet as in which protocol?
It supports Profinet and Morbus TCP and as per JRW's post you may add communication mpdule or board for Modbus 232-422&485

well just normal ethernet cable that i use to get my internet for example. I really dont know much about the protocol and whatnot. Sorry

I think you are talking about two or different types of "communication" here: from you computer (programming device) to the PLC; from the PLC to non-local I/O; and perhaps from the PLC to some sort of HMI/SCADA/GUI.

(1) For PC to PLC, standard ethernet is common, and does exist for the model of Siemens you're looking at. You don't need to worry about 'protocols' or 'drivers' -- all that is handled by the programming software.

(2) Most PLCs, while they have I/O either on the main body or as additional cards in the local rack, also have the ability to talk to other I/O modules, via all kinds of protocols and cabling. Siemens often uses Profibus; Rockwell EthernetIP, ControlNet, DeviceNet, and RIO; Modbus is used by Modicon/Group Schneider (and almost everybody else). Depending on the model, the PLC can either support a particular protocol natively, or by adding a special communication card to its rack (see image in JRW's post).

The cabling used by each protocol varies: Profibus is a 2-wire "purple hose" cable, EthernetIP uses standard Cat-5/Cat-6. RS-485 is an 8-wire twisted pair serial cable. Each has its own distance limitations, network topology (serial point-to-point; star; ring).

Ask specific questions to get specific answers. "I need an explanation..." is best handled by Wikipedia, not us. We do best when you tell us what you know, ask about what you don't, and we can tailor our response to fit your needs.

(3) A PLC almost always needs some sort of operator interface. Pushbuttons and lights are all well and good, but a computer with some HMI/SCADA/GUI software running on it is usually better. How THAT communicates with your PLC will depend on what software/hardware you use for your HMI, and what the PLC is capable of supporting.

Last edited:
I think you are talking about two or different types of "communication" here: from you computer (programming device) to the PLC; from the PLC to non-local I/O; and perhaps from the PLC to some sort of HMI/SCADA/GUI.

(1) For PC to PLC, standard ethernet is common, and does exist for the model of Siemens you're looking at. You don't need to worry about 'protocols' or 'drivers' -- all that is handled by the programming software.

(2) Most PLCs, while they have I/O either on the main body or as additional cards in the local rack, also have the ability to talk to other I/O modules, via all kinds of protocols and cabling. Siemens often uses Profibus; Rockwell EthernetIP, ControlNet, DeviceNet, and RIO; Modbus is used by Modicon/Group Schneider (and almost everybody else). Depending on the model, the PLC can either support a particular protocol natively, or by adding a special communication card to its rack (see image in JRW's post).

The cabling used by each protocol varies: Profibus is a 2-wire "purple hose" cable, EthernetIP uses standard Cat-5/Cat-6. RS-485 is an 8-wire twisted pair serial cable. Each has its own distance limitations, network topology (serial point-to-point; star; ring).

Ask specific questions to get specific answers. "I need an explanation..." is best handled by Wikipedia, not us. We do best when you tell us what you know, ask about what you don't, and we can tailor our response to fit your needs.

(3) A PLC almost always needs some sort of operator interface. Pushbuttons and lights are all well and good, but a computer with some HMI/SCADA/GUI software running on it is usually better. How THAT communicates with your PLC will depend on what software/hardware you use for your HMI, and what the PLC is capable of supporting.

Now this helped me a lot. I get a clearer picture on my mind rn. Thank you a lot.

Now the plc i wanted to buy is this https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/tr/tr/Catalog/Product/6ES7212-1AE40-0XB0
As you can see it only has 2 analog inputs and no analog outputs.
I wanted get a AI/AO module that is compatible with my plc(6ES7212-1AE40-0XB0). Thats why i was looking around for connections. I need around 4AI and 4AO so that i can control my motors and whatnot. are there any modules you can recommend me?

Click on the page that you linked... then click the little red book on the left, then open the analog modules under the 1200's and you will see all the options to pick from

I use the 6ES7232-4HA30-0XB0 with my 1200's

siemns.png