How to Make Live/Online Changes in Indusoft/Wonderware

Hello friends,

I'm new to using Indusoft Web Studio IWS V8.0/Wonderware. I have been able to download the programs to the remote HMI and start them from the HMI, and am looking to do this while the HMI is running.

How can I download remotely from my VM while the remote HMI panel is running and see the changes take effect live, without have to shutdown the application each time to reopen in order to get the new changes?

Are there any tutorials or documents on how to do this? Can't seem to find it in the Wonderware/Indusoft/AVEVA documentation.

Honestly, I'm not familiar with the newest version of Wonderware, but in the past, one would use NAD (Network Application Development) to do that.

you can make some changes online if you are in HMI mode and not using the Thin Client or Mobile access. But I do not know of a way to make changes remotely and then download them without stopping and starting the application.

To connect the the Remote computer or 'HMI', the connection is created with the 'Remote Management Tool' on the Home Toolbar.
I assume this is how you downloaded to the HMI already.
Create a connection to the remote HMI then close the remote management dialog box.
Open a screen and make any desired changes. When saving or closing the screen, it'll prompt if you want to download the changes to the runtime project. This only works for screen level changes. Any tag changes, scripts, schedules, etc require stopping the runtime and downloading the project.

you can make some changes online if you are in HMI mode and not using the Thin Client or Mobile access. But I do not know of a way to make changes remotely and then download them without stopping and starting the application.

Thanks doctord,

Would you please explain what is HMI mode? Is this change done on the same PC where the app is running and with Indusoft Web Studio IDE installed, or on the remote development PC with Indusoft Web Studio?

We're using a Target System of Lite Interface Plus, installed on Advantech HMI panel with Windows 10.

To connect the the Remote computer or 'HMI', the connection is created with the 'Remote Management Tool' on the Home Toolbar.
I assume this is how you downloaded to the HMI already.
Create a connection to the remote HMI then close the remote management dialog box.
Open a screen and make any desired changes. When saving or closing the screen, it'll prompt if you want to download the changes to the runtime project. This only works for screen level changes. Any tag changes, scripts, schedules, etc require stopping the runtime and downloading the project.

Thanks Sbaum,

I tried this in the morning today and it seems the changes are still not downloaded to the running app. From the development VM, I've tried updating a screen by using tags that I had already created and installed the whole project on the remote HMI PC. I do see the prompt you are advising of, and when I click download I still don't see the changes on the HMI that I'm connected to with remote agent.

I don't know if there's a certain version required or another setting that needs to be changed. Please see my above response for what hardware/software version I'm using. IWS v8.0.

Thanks for your support.

what I meant was using a system with IWS install on a PC and using the monitor as an HMI or SCADA system.
we use that setup on some of our systems and on some of our systems we have 200 users that access the system using Chrome or Edge with IWS Thin Client or Mobile Access.

what I meant was using a system with IWS install on a PC and using the monitor as an HMI or SCADA system.
we use that setup on some of our systems and on some of our systems we have 200 users that access the system using Chrome or Edge with IWS Thin Client or Mobile Access.

Okay, thank you. Yes, that is how it is setup, with IWS on the PC and monitor, and also on my development VM. When I try to open the project.app on the PC running it, it doesn't allow me to edit the screens or anything, just start and stop the application in IWS.

Do I need to have a license or something that I need to check for to make the screens open in IWS on the PC?

To answer one of my own questions, I cannot open or edit the screens on the PC running the app because it is only the runtime license.

I still need help regarding the other question. I am connected using remote agent and am able to download the entire project and the project prompts if I want to download to the changed screen. When I select yes, the changes do not push to the new screen. All of the tags are up to date in the project and the running app. Is there something else I am missing?