How to play a .wav file

Kyle Grathwol

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about playing a .wav file after an event occurs? I did search the forum and the newest post was 2 years old. Has anyone done this? Equipment is Allen Bradley SLC series and there is also a small PC connected to the system via RS232 with ethernet capabilities. Thanks in advance for your time.

I've done it using RSView, what software do you have on the PC? if you have only 500 and linx then you can create a VP application or have some other form of a HMI

Kyle Grathwol said:
The PC has RSLogix 500 and RSLinx Lite running on XP Pro.
Then I think you are going to have to make a VB application or buy a HMI software that can run one, linx will do the talking but you still need something to open the file and run it

Another option is to use an alarm horn with recordable memory tied to an output. We have one installed in our casting facillity but we used one of the pre-programmed sirens. I believe it was an Edwards Signal unit.
I did test the recording feature and it did function OK. It might be cheaper than buying some MMI software unless you know how to use VB. Were you planning on using this just in a control room or out in the plant?

Were you planning on using this just in a control room or out in the plant?

This will be used out in a plant floor.

I am picturing some sort of application with pre-recorded .wav file messages running on the PC that are triggered by signals from the PLC through a serial connection. Does anyone know of such an application?