How to use RSNetworx for DeviceNet with PLC 5?

PreLC

I have a PLC5 with an Ethernet card. It also has a devicenet network under it.

Can I somehow use RSNetworx with it, over Ethernet? I have the PLC5 added to my RSLinx under an Ethernet Driver.

Thank you!
-PreLC

While you could bridge communications from the RSNDN running PC through the PLC5 Ethernet port and onto the 1771-SDN connected DN network (s) this is not a viable topology for DeviceNet network configuration; slight adjustments and single parameters fine tuning only.

For DeviceNet Scanlist and data mapping configuration you will need a 1770-KFD PC serial RS232 interface or a 1784-U2DN USB interface wired within a network trunk line or a PCI type PC card.
(PCD, PCID or PCIDS).

A 'refurbished' KFD will be the most cost efficient interface; the U2DN runs over $1K and I don't believe they make PCs with PCI slots anymore.

Last edited:
I think Bob Law at A-B once compared the 1771-SDNPT passthrough driver to "building a house by mailing yourself bricks".

I agree that a direct interface to the DeviceNet is better; 1770-KFD or 1784-U2DN, or a bridged connection from a 1756-DNB if you have one around.

Yesterday I configured Netflix on my in-laws' Smart TV, using a very strong password. A similar degree of patience was necessary.