Hydraulic Press Control Webinar

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
Delta Computer Systems is putting on a press control webinar on 14th Apr at 8:30 PDT.
The webinar will cover synchronizing multiple cylinders in position control.
Switching to force control,
Platen cushioning,
Platen leveling,
Tuning

Please register for Delta Press Webinar on Apr 14, 2020 8:30 AM PDT at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7428131638595522829

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Brought to you by GoToWebinar®
Webinars Made Easy®

Thanks, Peter! I have signed up and am looking forward to it.

I have an application that is actually a stretcher, not a press, but many of the principles should still apply.

This brings back some memories(some good, some bad), of my times working with a Best Press with an RMC/GE control system on it.
I remember. That had to be almost 20 years ago. Did you do the integration? Using a GE plc to talk to a RMC over profibus must have been fun.

I remember one problem when one RMC was bought thinking that only one pressure sensor was necessary per cylinder. Load cells are a better way to go if you can find places to mount them.

Yes, about 20 years ago. I was the end user. I think it was the first one that Best Press made with this combination, and all the bugs weren't worked out yet. I did have to get into the code and make some changes. Best Press was in financial straights at the time, so that didn't help the situation.

Yes, about 20 years ago. I was the end user. I think it was the first one that Best Press made with this combination, and all the bugs weren't worked out yet. I did have to get into the code and make some changes. Best Press was in financial straights at the time, so that didn't help the situation.
Best press got acquired by Gasbarre. Gasbarre is using RMC200s today. Best Presses' distributor went out of business too owing us money for one controller.

The last press was screwed up. The engineers thought they could control force with only a pressure sensor on the cap side. I remember getting a call for a Best Press engineer. He said he set the pressure set point to 1000 psi and the actuator backed up. He couldn't understand that there is pressure on the rod side at all times unless the actuator is 'dead headed' with the servo valve wide open. Another pressure sensor had to be added to the rod side of the cylinder to calculate the net force plus or minus a little friction. This is a common mistake by first time press manufacturers however, that last time I all this problem was maybe 8 years ago. We have the press manufacturers trained I think.

You have brought up a good point. The webinar is supposed to by about control but I think we should also cover the DOs and DON'Ts of of press design. If the press is design correctly then getting it to go is easy. If not, then it may be difficult to get the press to work at all or the performance will be compromised.

We had a recent press problem. The force was holding at a set point but the actual force was oscillating around the set point. The problem turned out to be a valve with lots of hysteresis. The valve was replaced with a different brand and the performance was perfect. This is good but hours were wasted trying to tune the system when the valve made it impossible.

Our Best Press had a load cell. The controls engineer at that time(pretty sure he was just a contractor) was pretty good. I was sent to Best Press to check on the progress of our press, since it was behind schedule. I was shown parts and an electrical panel for a completely different press and told they were ours. We ended up having to take over purchasing parts for our press directly so it could be finished. The control system actually worked pretty good. I remember calling you to get tuning advice. Either previous or later versions used Delta Tau and they would have random control runaways that were very dangerous. I don't think it was a Delta Tau issue, but an implementation issue.

Hi Peter,

I signed in because I think this webinar will help me with a plastic-injection-molding-machine-retrofit-project that I have to do in the future, but there is a high probability I'm going out to work tomorrow so I'm going to miss it.

Are you going to record the webinar? Will the recording be available?

Thank you

Jose

Thanks for posting that Peter!! I have never used your products and with me being in the Oil and Gas business I may not get a chance in the future to use them (unless Oil prices keep dropping and I have to find a new job). I was very impressed with the ease of use and the accuracy of the controller. The presenter did a excellent job of explaining very complex ideas. Even though I have never worked with controlling a press his explanations really helped a newbie like me.
You have a good team at Delta!

The Webinar is done. GotoWebinar worked great! No technical glitches. We had over 300 people stay on to the end. There were 350 at the beginning. Those that left were probably sales related.

We had 3 pre-recorded sections because we had to have 3 different setups on our one hydraulic press. It would take too much time to switch the configurations so to speed things up we pre-recorded those few sections.

On our forum we are going to have special thread about this webinar where there will be links to the recorded video and people can ask more questions.