Hyper terminal

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
Trying to test a Channel 0 ASCII to Hyper Terminal using 1747-L532
Channel 0 is set to user
Do I use a Straight through cable or Null Modem from RS232 port on Channel-0
to Laptop
Test program is from a post done in RS-5 I converted to RS-500 and changed the states bits for the clock to reflect it

The SLC-5/0x serial port is DTE type, and your computer is DTE type, so you need a null-modem cable to connect them.

1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 cables are ideal for the purpose.

HyperTerminal is OK for some purposes, but I've run into enough trouble with its handling of duplicate characters and unprintable characters that I always use RealTerm instead.

HyperTerminal is OK for some purposes, but I've run into enough trouble with its handling of duplicate characters and unprintable characters that I always use RealTerm instead.

I do not use HyperTerminal either because of its issues and also because of the fact that it is not included in Windows 7 or higher. Whenever i need to use a terminal emulator, I always use puTTY. It's free, open-source, portable, has an extremely small file size, and works very well for all sorts of different terminal applications. I have not tried RealTerm, so I can't comment on how they compare.