I joined the many

unemployed

WOW!

I never thought I would be one of the ones that I read about in this economy. I walked into work on Friday, was pulled into an office and handed my Reduction In Force notice.

Now, no job, no benefits, nothing.

The hardest thing in the world was telling my wife and my kids.

I was as blind sided as could be - no clue at all that this was going to happen.

I am a regular here, but didn't want to reveal my info just yet. I just need to process all of this.

We sorry to hear that. What state are you located in?
There are jobs out there. What are you good at? Get your butt out there and find another! You will find even something better

Right now I'm in GA. There aren't very many jobs around here but I first need to get a resume developed.

I spent most of my time in SLC 500, power, and electrical safety. I just need to get out of my funk and stop feeling sorry for myself and my family.

Im sorry for you.

But out of curiosity, how does it work in the states? In here we have certain amount of time left depending on how long you worked for employer. Dont you have system like that? is it so that you can be kicked out without any compensation just like that?

On the subject of getting new job, faster you start faster you get it. More confident you are faster you get it. So faster you forget you were laid down, faster you have new job, most likely better place too.

Just remember, they might take your job away, but they can never take away what you know. Just be flexible in what you are looking for in a new job. Dont be afraid to tell your friends and family, they are the best source of new jobs. Good luck, everything will turn out OK.

If you would be interested in working a 7 days on - 7 days off or 14 on - 14 off schedule, there are always many positions open for electricians or instrument techs in the gulf of mexico.

But out of curiosity, how does it work in the states? In here we have certain amount of time left depending on how long you worked for employer. Dont you have system like that? is it so that you can be kicked out without any compensation just like that?

I think most of the US States have "at will" employment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

So unless there is a contract somewhere with your employer, they can get rid of you without any advanced notice. You can also stop working without any advanced notice. But usually both sides of the arrangement like to inform the other side in advanced.

I did not yet read all of it, but first impression is that i dont see it good. But, i see the need for ability to fire lazy, incompetent ect. people (this has nothing to do with op). We have few of those, and those ruin lot of workman spirit.

I will read some more. There is some different views in it.

Edit. Yeah, too much on the employee.

Last edited:
Unemployed, please accept my sympathies and hopes that you will find a new, even better job soon. I painfully remember the one time I was unexpectedly fired and the impact on yourself and your family can be large.

Allow the following advice. First, and most important, you are the same worker with the same skills and the same value today as you were before you were laid off. Keep reminding yourself of that as the discouragement and depression monster makes his occasional attacks.

Second, you need time to take inventory. What's important. What stands for a step forward and what stands for a step backward. Not a lot of time but enough to get your priorities sorted out. Include your family in this.

Third, is a career change a good idea. There may be no better time than now to evaluate and possibly implement that.

Finally, when you have a plan, go for it with gusto and a healthy bit of confidence. A potential employer can smell worry or desperation on you and will always offer less. Be confident and never volunteer that the prospect at hand is your only one.

And good luck. If you are a Christian, remember to pray about it. My best jobs, as I look back at a 45 year career, were an unexpected gift. I know Who to thank for that and I hope you do too.

If you are a Christian, remember to pray about it. My best jobs, as I look back at a 45 year career, were an unexpected gift. I know Who to thank for that and I hope you do too.

a hearty Amen to that ...

they say that whenever God closes a door He always opens a window ... based on my personal experience, it goes much further than that ... give Him a chance and He'll prop a ladder up to that window – and then give you a boost up the ladder – head-first into opportunities you never dreamed existed ...

Put Your Game Face On

Hello

Just thought I would chime in on this one. I agree with most all that has been posted so far. Let me say this, for every job there are many applicants. Your resume needs to STAND OUT from the rest.

Right now I'm in GA. There aren't very many jobs around here but I first need to get a resume developed.

Dust off that old resume, always keep it updated. Some say a single page is best, I agree to a point. The first couple of pages should outline what position you are inquiring, why you are the best match schooling / training etc... but my personal experience is its best to be detailed in any schooling or training you may of had. If you have taken classes at a community college they usually have descriptions of the class USE IT same with seminars. I keep that at the back.

Remember the companies will be picking the best resumes to interview, you need not only get your foot in the door but blow the door off its hinges.

The interview, new to this or have'nt done it in a while do a couple of smaller interviews before going for the big fish. Arrive early usually will need to fill out job app before hand. Have a couple of copies of your resume on hand. Make copies of any awards, yearly reviews past and present programs etc... remember you are there to KICK A** AND TAKE NAMES.

During an interview I am most likely interviewed by several people. I keep all documentation I have orderly and at my finger tips. Usually spread out in front of me. During the interview do not misrepresent any skills you may or may not have, employers usually see through this one. Do'nt schudle back to back interviews, I've had interviews from 1 hour to as long as 5 hours, and I thought I was only a small part of there day.

By now hopefully you are armed to the teeth and gunning for bear.

But for now any job that puts food on the table a roof over the heads of you and your family heads is your focus. And yes Now is the time to develop new skills as stated, but not to get back what you lost but to exceed. I know all to well what you are going through I was one who went out om strike and never went back.

TOM

Sorry to hear about your job. I found myself in the same situation a few years ago. On the Tuesday i received a payrise then on the friday myself and another employee were paid off. Total shock to the system.

Over the weekend i went through some of the contacts I'd made during my time in the job and decided to give a select few a call on the monday. By tuesday I had a new job, better pay and conditions and way less stress.
I was lucky, I know that but you just never know what a phone call may ressult in. Worth a shot mate.

cheers

Great advice above.

OkieLand is doing pretty well with the turndown, so I have been blessed. Food is recession resistant in and of itself too.

We are still hurting for a PLC programmer (90% SLCs) and electrical safety changes are looming and we lack some skills. We also need another AutoCad person to give me some relief.

I don't know if relocation is a consideration, but shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Paul

Thanks for the encouragement.

I've been an Electrical Engineer for over 20 years now and I thought I was secure (actually was told that numerous times). Most of my recent experience is controls (PLC programming) and electrical safety. I've also worked in a chemical plant and spent 8 years at a coal fired power generation facility.

I've spent the weekend reflecting on what I want to do with my life. The only driving factor now is my family. We have spent many hours this weekend together praying for guidance (thanks DickDV and Ron) but I still feel lost. I will have to take to heart the advice from Tom, DickDV, and others and put my game face on.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.